Xbox 360 Do you read game reviews?

I do! While I won't take every review as the absolute truth, by any means, I like to read several of them and sort of see what their complaints are. If they seem silly, I can usually dismiss them.

And sometimes, I'll be honest.... if a game gets horrible reviews, I am so intrigued by how a game could possibly be that bad that I buy it just to try it out myself, hehe.

I usually read game reviews first since I feel like they have a pretty good judgement better then any other critic in any other forum of entertainment. Because it's actually hands on but even after negative reviews I still play the game. I just don't buy the games with negative reviews first.

I actually only rely on YouTube videos of gamers I like to follow.I almost never buy a game if it isn't covered with at least a couple of long video reviews and lets play videos, I think it is because I have been burned so many times on game purchases I'm very careful now.

Written reviews can't actually visually bring you into a game as much as a well done video review and besides I like to decide for myself and just follow somebody else's opinion.

Yes, but not a lot. I only read reviews if I'm thinking of buying a game, so before buying one, I usually check how is it and how good a certain part of the game is or if it's really what I'm expecting. I hate being disappointed by a game, so better be safe than sorry.

I read reviews, but I pretty much ignore negative reviews of games I REALLY want. I ignore reviews of games I don't care about at all completely, too!

I don't care about critic reviews. They're most likely biased rambling about something. I like a lot of games that've been given a negative rating by critics. So, in short: reviews don't mean a single thing to me.

I don't care about critic reviews. They're most likely biased rambling about something. I like a lot of games that've been given a negative rating by critics. So, in short: reviews don't mean a single thing to me.

I don't tend to read the ones by critics. They often seem biased anyway, but even more so, they go to such extremes because it makes for a better story. I would rather read a regular ol' blogger or the average user talk about a game.

Even if its an extension of a game I'm already going to get, I still read reviews. They tell me if the game is worth getting on release or not. Reviews also give me a taste of the game to see how I want to do it, I must also know if its worth trying to 100%

I read reviews, but I pretty much ignore negative reviews of games I REALLY want. I ignore reviews of games I don't care about at all completely, too!

Same here! Most JRPG reviews online are really terrible. Game review sites really need to choose their reviewer based on their interest. If they're not interested in a specific genre then they tend to give them negative reviews simply because they dont enjoy that genre.

Same here! Most JRPG reviews online are really terrible. Game review sites really need to choose their reviewer based on their interest. If they're not interested in a specific genre then they tend to give them negative reviews simply because they dont enjoy that genre.
True enough, there are far too many idiotic reviews. I remember a review of Dragon's Dogma in which the guy complained that he could only shoot weak little shots with the Mage class. For some reason, he never figured out how to use the actually powerful spells instead of just that weak attack which is used to finish off a really weak enemy or similar things. It's amazing that he didn't figure that out, so of course his review was negative because he was terrible at the game. I saw a similar one for Ragnarok's Odyssey in which the player simply didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Games that have a "small" niche nowadays such as JRPGs, shmups and fighting games get crap reviews from people that simply don't like the genre or don't know how to deal with it. Fighting game reviews are usually hilarious.

Also, I remember a Persona 4 Golden review which had some points substracted from the score simply because the game was on Vita instead of on PS3/360! The internet is a fun place.

I used to buy videogame magazines and read up reviews in them, but for a few years now I just watch youtube reviews and gameplay. It's more fun to watch somebody play it and get a feel for it.

Of course I read reviews. I may not always agree with them, but sometimes they bring something up about the game that I didn't realize that may be a deal breaker for me. Also, there is the chance that a game just gets terrible reviews.

I typically read through the magazine for the news and updates and such. As far as gaming reviews are concerned. I try to avoid reading or hearing them. I try not to be, but everyone is influenced at some level by others opinions. In order to avoid missing out on what my be a great game because of someone else I try to avoid them. Afterwards, I find them interested to read to see if I agree with their view points or not.

In order to get a feel for the game before I buy I try to go for a demo, screenshots, or gameplay videos(minus the opinion part). I usually tend to purchase games from developers I have already played from. It is interesting to notice similarities between games that are completely different yet linked through their developer or producer.

Although having your own opinion is normally the best way of getting a game you'll like, sometimes video game reviews do help.

In this case I'm talking about really bad games that you could of potentially bought and turned out to be a waste of money for instance (as stupid as it sounds) a shooter which has a great looking case but is terrible as a game.

On the opposite side game reviews can also reveal hidden gems that you would never of bought or even looked at if you hadn't seen the review. I know they have allowed me to buy more games that I enjoy.

Oh and when I'm talking about bad games I mean ones with scores like 2/10 or 1/2 a star. You'll find games with average scores you'll still personally enjoy yourself.

I do, but only if I REALLY want to play the game. If a really want to play it I need to read every single review available online because I need to know what to expect. I also read magazines and watch a couple of TV show that talk strictly about video games.

You are very correct; i never let reviews decide how a game will be for me. I always buy or rent to try out the game for myself, or i rely on trusted sources like my friends who share the same interests as me :p

I do, but only if I REALLY want to play the game. If a really want to play it I need to read every single review available online because I need to know what to expect. I also read magazines and watch a couple of TV show that talk strictly about video games.

Are your video games still even fun? I get disappointed when I know every detail of a game before I play it. Don't get me wrong, I like know what type of game I am purchasing. But I think one of the greatest enjoyments in a video game comes from experiencing the play systems and such for the first time on your own.

To make an simile, reading every review and watching every show before I play a game is similar to reading the receipts of my christmas gifts before I open them. It makes everything anticlimactic. At the end of the day, people aren't as fulfilled which leads them to repeating the entire process of searching for and purchasing a new game all over again .... but perhaps that is what they want.. lol

I myself am really hesitant to read game reviews mainly because its like reading a music review on your favorite bands new album. The reviewer isn't into it as much as you are they make it seem as if it's not that great and when you do get around to playing the game or listening to the CD you have the notion that it is going to be bad. So for me I'm like you OP i rather watch some game play on YouTube of someone who is actually into the game I get a better feel for it and I can truly tell how the game is from my own perspective. Also anytime a new game comes out there are a few Website that LiveStream the game for you the day it is released!

i usually take a persons word, a friends perhaps, they seem more truthful then a magazine or a website. a game may get 9/10 on a site but if my friends don't like it, and i'm not amazed by the gameplay on youtube or on any other websites. i won't get it.

i usually take a persons word, a friends perhaps, they seem more truthful then a magazine or a website. a game may get 9/10 on a site but if my friends don't like it, and i'm not amazed by the gameplay on youtube or on any other websites. i won't get it.

Exactly my procedure.
I don't even care about game reviews anymore. I only look for gameplay footage on Youtube, ask for my friends' opinions, and then decide if I want to buy it or not.
Silent Hill Downpour was the latest example for me: an awesome game, a 9.5/10 for me, that only got about 6/10 in official reviews.
They lost all their credibility for me a long time ago.

Back