Xbox One Do you think Microsoft would ever make a portable game?

joshAnthony

From
Jamaica
Well Sony has been doing that since 2005 and Nintendo's been doing that for a while so why can't Microsoft. I'm sure there would be even more competition for the psvita. I would definitely buy one. I'm just curious to know how it would look like and the features it would possess. What do you think about this??

I doubt we will ever see one as the portable market has been pretty much cornered by mobile phones in particular the Iphone and I think Microsoft realised this so went for a windows phone linked to your live account instead.
I believe with the weak performance for the Vita in terms of sales have proved this and even the 3ds is starting to suffer.

A portable gaming system?

Seeing that Microsoft is already on the market of the tablets and such, i think they would just end up make games for that, or they would adapt Xbox Live for mobile gadgets, something like Sony has done.

Not likely. I don't think it would sell all that well. Not to mention the price would probably be super high, and that would turn people off. And if they start treating it the same way they're currently treating X-box 720 with the forced Windows 8 and such, then consumer revolts will begin. That's always bad for business.

Nintendo dominates the handheld market. Sony is having a hard time competing with Nintendo, though I would say Sony is successful due to better hardware, heheh (plus, they don't just rehash old franchises a million times like Nintendo does). But Nintendo is dominating when it comes to sales and stuff. I doubt Microsoft would try to delve into that market due to the competition. Their handheld would have a hard time being successful.

Claptrap makes a good point. There are already many portable devices from a lot of different gaming companies. Another one won't help them, it will probably not sell at all. Some people will just brush it off as another nintendo-copy.

I agree that Nintendo dominates the handheld market. I think that it is possible that Microsoft would go to the effort of competing here though too. I don't think anything anything is on the cards, but perhaps they will surprise us in a couple of year? I honestly think it will have to be really superior to be a strong addition to the handheld market.

The only in logical think I can assume is someone making a mobile Xbox or Xbox 360 system. Thus making it portable. Otherwise, I don't think they will ever switch over.

A portable Xbox 360 with a monitor would be pretty sick. Too bad it uses up to much juice to make it really mobile. Maybe one day :(

I think it's a good idea, I just don't know if it would be a top seller. Nintendo has been dominating this market since...I would say since they came out with the original game boy. They should stick to the consoles and the tablets, in my opinion that is.

It would be an interesting idea, but I don't think Microsoft can afford such a thing right now. The market isn't that strong and Microsoft are already trying to push the new xbox. Investing a lot of money in development and production just to get into the portable market doesn't seem like a great idea right now.

As mentioned earlier im pretty sure no because the sales of portable sales are starting to decline so it wont be in their interest to do so. Let alone in their budget when they can use those expenses into something else that has a much bigger payoff like improving their kinect. Overall people here pretty much put the nail on the coffin ,in short, no just no

It definitely would, given the fact that in order for you to stay in business nowadays, your head has to always be above water, and not just your name, I wouldn't be surprised if they are already developing such a game. ;)

It would be an interesting idea, but I don't think Microsoft can afford such a thing right now. The market isn't that strong and Microsoft are already trying to push the new xbox. Investing a lot of money in development and production just to get into the portable market doesn't seem like a great idea right now.
Are you really trying to say that Microsoft is too broke to develop a hand held game right now? I highly doubt my friend :)

Since Microsoft is already pursing Windows Phone, I would guess that's as close to a "handheld" as you're going to get. Why would they want to make a device to compete with it's own phone, if anything they should just develop good games and make them Windows Phone exclusives, lord knows they need something on their app store.

I've wondered this myself for a long time as well. After the PSP came out, I really expected Microsoft to come out with some kind of handheld with the same color scheme as the (first) Xbox 360. I used to love playing games for GBA, but once everyone started making handheld consoles entirely 3D, it lost its charm for me. I figure, why play a 3D game on a handheld console when you can play it on a regular one? I know that it's about the portability, but I've never had that desire to play console-type games on the go. I liked handheld games specifically because they were different from console games, and once that distinction was gone I lost interest altogether.

I used to like handheld games back in the old days. But now, not so much. I think they are just another outside distraction. And with my phone and MP3 player, I already have enough of those.

I don't foresee Microsoft making a huge push towards a handheld gaming device any time soon. It seems as microsoft has a pretty strong entity in the tablet sector, so it would be much more cost-effective to focus on the advancements in the areas they think they are strongest in. Mobile gaming seems to be the most on the rise lately with all the additions being made to the Apple and Android app stores. Also, aside from the gaming devices made my Nintendo (a presence that has been around for decades), it doesn't seem as if there is much demand for a handheld game.

Microsoft skipped the handhelds and went straight into the Windows Phone 8, mobile, business. Smarter than handheld IMO. So will Microsoft ever make a portable game? They already do for the mobile Windows Phones.

I think portable game devices are a thing of the past. Once smartphones and tablets were able to play 3D games with decent graphics, I found myself playing games on my phone than my PSP and Gameboy lol. It just seems to make more sense though because most people have a cellphone already versus trying to convince someone to buy an entirely new console to carry around.

Back