Xbox 360 Do you think the Xbox is more geared towards entertainment or video games?

dankcloud

Contributor
It seems like as time goes by, the Xbox 360 is evolving into more of an entertainment device than a gaming console.

With millions of people using Netflix, and other forms of entertainment on their console, I hear people talking about how the

Xbox is shifting more towards entertainment than games. In my opinion, if you play games and it's entertaining, you can call it an entertainment console

regardless what else it does besides playing video games. What are your thoughts?

I used my Xbox to play music, check Facebook and Twitter and rent movies. I agree I enjoy myself doing it. I don’t see any problem with Xbox gearing towards entertainment. That’s how technology works.

I think its more gaming, just because if you need entertainment most people would go to a computer/laptop.

It used to be more gaming oriented, but it has since shifted to entertainment. Gaming is only one of the many features of the Xbox now, like you said, which include Netflix, etc. The main reason most people get an Xbox though is the games.

Its definitely nice that you can use netflix from the xbox but I just hope they dont do what playstation 4 is doing with adding all the social networking . If I wantto go on facebook I can just use my computer. I want them to focuc more on gaming.

All game consoles are basically entertainment consoles because you can play DVD's or CD's on them. I don't think I've actually turned on my DVD player in years. I just use my original XBox to play DVD's or my 360 to watch streaming movies.

Nobody really needs a DVD or CD player if you have game consoles. My daughter wants to get rid of her DVD player, but we've been to lazy to move to two game consoles that are sitting on top of it.

Its definitely nice that you can use netflix from the xbox but I just hope they dont do what playstation 4 is doing with adding all the social networking . If I wantto go on facebook I can just use my computer. I want them to focuc more on gaming.

It's a little creepy that all sites, from Youtube to Hulu are connected to Facebook. I really don't need my boss knowing that I watch gay and lesbian movies on Hulu. Why does everything have to be integrated with Facebook now? Isn't anything private anymore?
Do my daughter's teachers really need to know what she watches on Youtube in her free time?

This is why people are getting fired from their jobs for stuff they do at home. There is way too much sharing on Facebook.

The Xbox is defiantly games orientated in my opinion which is clearly what Microsoft did not aim for. This shows in the new rumours for the new console, it will be much more evenly spread I think.

Xbox is definitely more geared towards video games but Microsoft is trying to make it more of an entertainment device with things like Netflix and Hulu. The reasoning for this is to make the Xbox more of an "all-in-1" type of system. Obviously, Xbox will receive more money from you watching Hulu or Netflix on the Xbox than elsewhere. So pretty much, Microsoft is trying the increase their profits by adding in apps that users will find helpful and fun. This is a smart approach and as long these extra services are relatively cheap. I don't really mind if Microsoft gradually reshapes the Xbox into a more powerful entertainment machine, but the ads might get annoying, haha.

The direction is more of a all-in-one box, that takes care of everything you could think of. Whether playing games or watching movies, you can just fire up the xbox and it's all there for you. Really don't care for the social aspect but I can see how it would be important for the people who create the Machinima videos.

Clearly games, but they can't ask for 300$ or more just to give you someone that can only play games. They have to add more stuff since it's a competitive market out there. If Xbox releases a motion controller, playstation releases one too and so on. The consoles are made so people can have another less jaded platform for games, but it seems that it also replaced the dvd player, blu ray player and some other gadgets.

Ultimately, it's still specialized for gaming, so I would think that it is still more gaming-oriented. I could be wrong, because the primary purpose of a machine or device doesn't always dictate what it's mostly used for. For example, I see people use their smartphones for entertainment purposes just as often as communication purposes, if not more. In my experience, my friends are most typically playing games when they're online, but that isn't to say I don't see a lot of people using other apps. To conclude, I think the Xbox is still mostly a gaming platform, but I'm saying this without looking up facts and figures, and I'll gladly admit that it's more appropriate to call it a multimedia machine.

Entertainment encompasses video games. Maybe you're trying to ask if the Xbox 360 primarily caters to multimedia needs or video game needs. I think that the Xbox 360 primarily caters to your video game needs. That's why it's called a game console in the first place.

According to a recent report from Nielsen, Xbox 360 users spend more time playing games than they do using the streaming services on the console. A survey conducted by the company claims that only 13 percent of the time that American Xbox 360 users spend on their console is for using it as a video-on-demand or streaming device.

Nielsen also found that PlayStation 3 players use their console 24 percent of the time for similar services, and Wii owners even more so at 32 percent.

This comes in the face of rumors that Microsoft’s next-gen console will be more geared towards this type of use. Microsoft has made no secrets about their wishes for the Xbox to become the central hub of the living room, but it doesn’t look like that plan is working according to Nielsen.

It looks like both Sony and Microsoft are shooting for each others’ numbers in the next-gen. The PlayStation 4 was advertised as a platform dedicated to gamers at its reveal event last month, we’ll have to wait and see if the Microsoft tries to position the next-gen Xbox as the all-encompassing living room device, in an announcement that is rumored for April.

SOURCE: Attack of the Fanboy

I think that we have to remember that we are being drip fed and we have got to be a few years behind what they can actually do we have been heading this way for some time. This is just part of the package as consumers are demanding more and more interconnectability our console will turn into compete media centres

I have used my xbox as a gaming console and an entertainment device. When I need to check something and I am on my xbox, such as facebook, I can just shoot right over from the dashboard. However, Xbox will keep supporting video games although it is branching out to entertainment.

I think it's starting to be more geared toward entertainment. Xbox has a lot out there for entertainment and I believe that is only going to grow. They're still coming out with great games though so I'm okay with it.

I think Microsoft is trying to meld a both gaming and entertainment into one system. Personally, I don't take full advantage of these extra add-ons, just using Netflix sometimes and burn some cds into the Xbox so I can game and listen to music.

Microsoft has realized that people are all about convenience nowadays. People now are using their Iphones to do a multitude of tasks while a gaming console traditionally only has one. Unfortunately this means for the people who only have an interest in gaming have to deal with the hundreds of ads for all sorts of services that they have no interest in. It's all a marketing ploy, but it's what the public wants so it's what the public will get.

I think it has transformed from a gaming console to an all in one entertainment center. I can see why they are pushing it in this direction though. The potential for profits is astonishing and keeping your users on it longer can provide a greater chance that they will pay to play or pay to watch. It kind of makes me hooked to my xbox because I want to stream shows when I wake up and game during the day and then stream more shows at night before bed.

Back