Xbox 360 Do you think the Xbox is more geared towards entertainment or video games?

I feel that there is no question that Microsoft is trying to shift the Xbox towards an entertainment platform. This isn't necessarily a negative statement, as they are trying to integrate more features into the Xbox. However, there might be problems if Microsoft continues to deemphasize the gaming aspect of the gaming console, particularly with all the negative rumors surrounding the Xbox One that are coming out and tarnishing its reputation. This is contrasted with the PS3's stellar reputation as a purely gaming console/blu-ray player with superb titles.

I feel that there is no question that Microsoft is trying to shift the Xbox towards an entertainment platform. This isn't necessarily a negative statement, as they are trying to integrate more features into the Xbox. However, there might be problems if Microsoft continues to deemphasize the gaming aspect of the gaming console, particularly with all the negative rumors surrounding the Xbox One that are coming out and tarnishing its reputation. This is contrasted with the PS3's stellar reputation as a purely gaming console/blu-ray player with superb titles.

The PS3 started out as a Blu-ray player, and still is. The 360 started out as a gaming console and added features down the road. The only people that are tarnishing the Xbox One's reputation are Sony fanboys, people that want to trade/lend games and people that are afraid of Kinect.

Well it's definitely more based on all-in-one entertainment and TV is a big part of this, also streaming content, but this doesn't mean they aren't focusing a lot on gameplay. From what I've seen they are focusing a lot on gameplay too.

Obviously this last generation of consoles (Wii, PS3 and 360) introduced a ton of new entertainment (non-video game) options. Hulu, Youtube, Facebook... I will say I think Microsoft is pushing the hardest of the three to make an "all-in-one" entertainment center, which they'll achieve with the Xbox One. I think in the more original days of the 360 it was an even balance of gaming and non-gaming entertainment. I'm sure the grand majority of people still use it for games more than anything though.

Back