Xbox 360 Do you think the Xbox is more geared towards entertainment or video games?

Definitely video games. The Ps3 is more for entertainment as it has bluray and web surfing capability. The Xbox, on the other hand, has one of the most amount of games as far as consoles are concerned. Plus, there are games specifically made for the Xbox (Halo, etc....) There's no question that this thing was made for video games.

Ah I see you have uncovered Microsoft's master plan! Muahahhaa

No on a serious note, Microsoft is gearing towards entertainment, because it means that YOU will spend more time on the Xbox. Now, it takes a little bit of thinking, but more time spent on your Xbox, does equate to more money for Microsoft. Think about it, the more you browse, the more exposure you receive, the more "amazing" deals you are likely to see, therefore the more likely you are to spend money. Now this does not go for everybody that uses an Xbox for more then just solely gaming, but it does go for the average Xbox user in general. The more time that Microsoft can drag out from you on their console, will equate to them more money made.

Microsoft, without a single doubt, is pushing the system towards entertainment. However, this does not mean that the content provided by software companies has been diminished in any way. This balance is the brilliance of it. Microsoft can focus on bring the console to a more family oriented market, while the software companies that are licensed to use the console focus on hardcore gaming content to bring a balance to the system that makes it marketable to anyone. The PS3 has a similar balance going for them. Nintendo is an example of how they dropped the ball. Since almost all games on the nintendo are in house creations, they don't get the wider variety of content, and the entire circle ends up being family oriented, and locks a large group of people out from ever wanting the system. If the gamer's don't want it, assuming that most gamer's fall into an age group dependent on the parents, then the parents wont want it either, because they want to make the kids happy. Xbox and PS will continue to dominate the market and are doing a great job about it.

Gaming is entertainment. And as time is going on, people are realizing that lessening a pc and making it gaming specific isn't right, so they are adding in more functions.

Yeah, i've noticed this.

It used to be purely about playing games now it's more about movies, internet access, turning into a new machine.

I agree OP. Xbox 360 has turned into an entertainment console. Just think about it: They dish off TV ads, movie ads, music ads. The Games tab shares with Music/Movies/TV tabs equally. If it's a gaming system, how come there is a less emphasis on games and more on all as an equal?

Our Xbox mostly gets used for Netflix, but is used for gaming often enough to make it being used for both. It is a great system, and I have for sure noticed its shift from gaming to entertainment over the past several years... Its nice that it is becoming a more family friendly console.

Definitely gaming. It's the gamer's console. It's got the biggest and best sellers out there. What's the PS3 equivalent to Halo? That's right, there is none.

Yeah, Xbox is definitely more about overall entertainment that video games nowadays. Not a BAD thing, really, but yeah.

Over the past year or so, I've been using my Xbox more for the ESPN app and Netflix. I still use Xbox Live, but having the total package is what Microsoft is going for. They want you to turn on your Xbox instead of turning on your cable box for entertainment, and it just may become that way. I'm in college and currently don't pay for cable so watching ESPN on my Xbox using my parent's cable plan is doing wonders for me. I just hope they don't lose sight of what the Xbox was originally for, video games. I want more features, but not at the cost for rushed and badly produced games.

It's geared toward Microsoft owning the living room and spreading Windows 8 on home devices

I still think it's geared toward gaming, I just think it has other features built in anymore. I think it's a good idea too, who wants to have extra stuff lying around?

To me it seems like the Xbox 360 started as a gaming console and is slowly moving over to an entertainment system with added gaming, its like 360 and the PlayStation are switching roles. I mean, look at the 720 its meant to be a full on entertainment system.

I use all my consoles strictly for gaming. I still remember when i used to insert a cartridge into a console and just play it right from the get go, not having to deal with updates or other stuff. It's not that it was always a bad evolution, but since companies are trying to feed all of this social crap, games are losing quality.

I use all my consoles strictly for gaming. I still remember when i used to insert a cartridge into a console and just play it right from the get go, not having to deal with updates or other stuff. It's not that it was always a bad evolution, but since companies are trying to feed all of this social crap, games are losing quality.

I cannot agree with you more. Plus with the whole update thing most companies are properly testing their games and just relying on fixing them in time (day 1 patches....really?)

I think the first Xbox was more aimed to gamers. I think it was Microsoft's way of getting onto the console market as at that time
computer gaming wasn't as popular. With each new Xbox though it does feel like they're trying to be more for entertainment than
video games. You can now do a lot of TV and movie watching and the latest Xbox and when they revealed the Xbox One they
talked a lot more about watching TV than actually playing games. Very few games were shown on it and they games they did show
weren't new or interesting. It's a shame really, with the One it feels like they've lost sight thats it's a gaming system.

I have always seen it as as a platform geared for video games. Only thing I ever used it for other than to watch a couple of movies on was video games. I always found there were much easier ways to get use other entertainment devices than the Xbox. I would say the Ps3 is more headed to the entertainment side than Xbox 360 ever was. They do have the option for its use for entertainment purposes other than video gaming and are slowly increasing it so maybe the Xbox one will be more of a entertainment console rather than for its original purpose of gaming.

It's for both, but it's definitely more for gaming. It just so happens that you can use it for other things besides gaming, which isn't a bad thing. You can check social media sites, watching movies, or TV shows but still kick butt in your favorite games. I believe this will be the newest trend and it will stay like this for years to come, even giving more entertainment options while still keeping that console/gaming niche.

The Xbox (and the other gaming consoles for that matter) seem to be following the trend of the smartphones. When cell phones were first introduced, they were done so with the sole intent of making phone calls; much like gaming consoles were once used for games. As consumers slowly became more accustomed to having all types of media and communication at their fingertips, the gaming companies simply had to keep up. Smart phones all play movies, games, and allow for the updating of social media. Gaming companies refusing to follow suite would have been financial suicide. Consumers control the market, and I, for one, am happy to see Xbox following the interests of the buyers.

I have mixed feelings on this topic. People are expecting consoles to be solely on gaming, but they won't last long.

The focus has to be towards a wider audience. These consoles need to offer something else other than gaming for it to survive. The xbOne is just getting ready for that.

Back