Xbox One Gotham is 5x bigger in Arkham Knight

Not a bad thing to make for a game. But don't we have the same setting on GTA and on other games?

Yeah, we do. I think it's more or less just giving us a city that's alive for Batman. After all, it's the Bat we play as. We finally have the game that makes us feel we're are fighting for something and that's got to have something with a life in it.

I think they could at least throw in pedestrians to flesh things out. They don't have to have their own schedules and stuff (it's not like anyone is going to get invested in what Martha is doing), but just to have the streets bustling during the day and maybe late night, cars, and so on. Make it seem like Gotham wasn't evacuated because criminals got froggy and just about took over lol

Fallout 3 is kind of the exception because its meant to be empty. The setting, backstory, history, etc. all painted the picture that the Capitol Wasteland was meant to be desolate. It was like a lazy graphics team's dream as far as the overworld was concerned. Dragon Age...ehh. You don't really travel around so much as you go to hubs. The world is great once you get into those hubs, but some places did seem underpopulated...you know, you go to place and you either see more than enough houses and few people or a bunch of people and few houses. Of course the dark spawn invasion could be to blame for both, but still.

Gotta agree with you there. Well, with the next-gen already here, there's already ways to make these big places more populated and more life-like.

Yeah, we do. I think it's more or less just giving us a city that's alive for Batman. After all, it's the Bat we play as. We finally have the game that makes us feel we're are fighting for something and that's got to have something with a life in it.

That's true. We are the Batman. We need to feel like the city we save is really something that lives.

Not a bad thing to make for a game. But don't we have the same setting on GTA and on other games?

Yeah and it's something that should be expected in a game with a metropolis/urban setting. As a matter of fact, for an open world game based in modern times cars and citizens (and cyclists, which I haven't seen much since San Andreas) should be in the game. With a great looking game with a large map that you can freely move about, you should never feel that it's empty or ask yourself "Where are the people?" unless the story explained why there's no people. Even though Prototype had a lot of empty buildings and space to cover, it was a populated city and always busy.

As for the empty buildings thing, I don't know if I'm interpreting it differently, but I've always gathered that it meant that people wanted to be able to enter all buildings they see...which has always seemed nonsensical to me because there's no guarantee that anything interesting will be happening in the most of the buildings. Maybe 2% of them.

...you go into buildings in real life and there's barely anything going on unless it's like a prison, bank, firehouse, clown shanty, or a hospital during an emergency. On the other hand, it could just mean more buildings that you're able to enter and not necessarily all of them which is really the same.

I think having pedestrians and more cars would make the game more exciting. It would also be nice if we had more side quests to be in line with the big city.

I would love to see more side quests/spontaneous quests. Maybe a purse is snatched, someone is mugged, etc and have it executed without having to reach somewhere and activate it. Sometimes you come across it completely by chance while on patrol while other times if you're in your Batmobile your scanner can pick up activity as it goes down. Bank robberies, shootouts, prison breaks, gang wars. Crime should fluctuate depending on what villain is out, what kind they are (do they plot are they impulsive), and if they are about to make a move. Have Batman shake thugs down for info on an upcoming heist or hideout. All of that would extend a game beyond the storymode and you might end up patrolling more than doing the story.

In this generation, it should be possible to just about make not just the best Batman game, but the closest thing to a superhero simulator.

I would love to see more side quests/spontaneous quests. Maybe a purse is snatched, someone is mugged, etc and have it executed without having to reach somewhere and activate it. Sometimes you come across it completely by chance while on patrol while other times if you're in your Batmobile your scanner can pick up activity as it goes down. Bank robberies, shootouts, prison breaks, gang wars. Crime should fluctuate depending on what villain is out, what kind they are (do they plot are they impulsive), and if they are about to make a move. Have Batman shake thugs down for info on an upcoming heist or hideout. All of that would extend a game beyond the storymode and you might end up patrolling more than doing the story.

In this generation, it should be possible to just about make not just the best Batman game, but the closest thing to a superhero simulator.

I can totally get behind this. Spider Man and Superman had where you did civilian saving missions, but the city never seemed as populated as it should be.

Anything that makes a game world (any game world) more lively I'm all for it. New York in games are never as bustling as it should be. Liberty City wasn't that bustling in either game. Going by GTA standards, GTA 2 and Las Venturas and San Fierro were the most bustling. I'd like to see games that busy.

GTA 3, VC, and San Andreas were bustling for what was possible on consoles at the time. Rockstar the populated nature of the city just right with GTA V.

Well Rockstar had years to work on GTA V and figure out how to use the PS3 and 360 to the best of its ability to make a lively environment. They'll do the same with PS4 and X1, but it should be easier to amke bustling, lively cities and towns for all developers who are going with open world.

I'm all for a larger Gotham, but as everyone pretty much said: more stuff to do and a vibrant environment is key here.

I think Rocksteady will deliver on this Batman game and make that 5x larger worth it. And speaking about lively cities in games, Prototype was extremely lively.

All we have to do is wait and see what Rocksteady is gonna do. They've decided to skip last-gen and go next-gen, so we'll see what they got in store the next-gen.

All we have to do is wait and see what Rocksteady is gonna do. They've decided to skip last-gen and go next-gen, so we'll see what they got in store the next-gen.

Yeah, I agree. So have patience guys. They'll get us something good soon.

Well Rockstar had years to work on GTA V and figure out how to use the PS3 and 360 to the best of its ability to make a lively environment. They'll do the same with PS4 and X1, but it should be easier to amke bustling, lively cities and towns for all developers who are going with open world.

Yeah. At least with GTA V, Rockstar figured out a way to make a living, breathing city. Now, PS4 and Xbox One is of the next-gen so developers got all the time and resources to make living, breathing cities easier now.

Yeah and it's something that should be expected in a game with a metropolis/urban setting. As a matter of fact, for an open world game based in modern times cars and citizens (and cyclists, which I haven't seen much since San Andreas) should be in the game. With a great looking game with a large map that you can freely move about, you should never feel that it's empty or ask yourself "Where are the people?" unless the story explained why there's no people. Even though Prototype had a lot of empty buildings and space to cover, it was a populated city and always busy.

As for the empty buildings thing, I don't know if I'm interpreting it differently, but I've always gathered that it meant that people wanted to be able to enter all buildings they see...which has always seemed nonsensical to me because there's no guarantee that anything interesting will be happening in the most of the buildings. Maybe 2% of them.

...you go into buildings in real life and there's barely anything going on unless it's like a prison, bank, firehouse, clown shanty, or a hospital during an emergency. On the other hand, it could just mean more buildings that you're able to enter and not necessarily all of them which is really the same.

I agree on this as well. But it would be nicer if all the trouble happened at the same time. You won't know who to rescue first.

I agree on this as well. But it would be nicer if all the trouble happened at the same time. You won't know who to rescue first.

The spontaneous, random things that happened. Rockstar got through that idea with the random happenings in GTA V. Hmmm... that'll be interesting to see if Rocksteady can do it with Arkham Knight.

Hmm, I loved the bigger map on the newest Grand Theft Auto, so maybe a bigger map on the new Batman will work out well, too. I know bigger isn't "always" better, but the newest Grand Theft Auto has been one of my favorite games that I've played here in the last six or eight months or so.

Hmm, I loved the bigger map on the newest Grand Theft Auto, so maybe a bigger map on the new Batman will work out well, too. I know bigger isn't "always" better, but the newest Grand Theft Auto has been one of my favorite games that I've played here in the last six or eight months or so.

Me too. I finished it recently and it was awesome. It may not be THAT big but it had depth in it, which was awesome. But it was also great 'cuz of the random things, like what thecred4life said.

Me too. I finished it recently and it was awesome. It may not be THAT big but it had depth in it, which was awesome. But it was also great 'cuz of the random things, like what thecred4life said.

I agree. That kind of map, I liked. At least that felt like there was life in it. Hope Rocksteady can do something like that for Arkham Knight.

Back