PlayStation 4 to be priced at $399

PB7

Former Administrator
Just announced at E3, new PlayStation will cost $399. How does effect the gaming system landscape for you guys? Kind of crazy. Def didn't see that one coming.

Microsoft has got to be sweating in their boots right now. I would say Sony has completely defeated them in every regards this E3 and if Microsoft doesn't switch up and do something drastic I cannot see them competing with Sony this generation. Last Gen, Sony was incredibly over priced at launch and it hurt them... this gen they're somehow beating Microsoft in price!? How the hell did that happen?

That's a pretty reasonable price for a brand new console, I think. It's much better than Microsoft's price for the Xbox One, anyway, especially with all the limitations it has. I'm still not planning on buying a PS4 anytime soon, but I may be more likely buy it sooner because of the price.

I didn't see this coming. I thought after Microsoft unveiled their price tag that it was a lock that Sony would match it. This is shocking news and should sway a lot of consumers. Add in Sony's statements about used games and online connectivity and you have to give a huge advantage to Sony.

Granted, Sony will charge for online play like Xbox does now. Some gamers aren't realizing that, but even with that fact Sony will be the more affordable route to take for gaming.

I definitely didn't see this one coming either. I thought it would be at least the same price or more. The fact that its cheaper and doesn't have all the always online nonsense, the choice is becoming more obvious by each word spoken by company representatives.

It didn't surprise me, if you look at what your getting both are priced about right. If you add the PS eye to the PS4 your really close to the Xbox One price. It all depend on what you want, IMO I'm getting some much more with the Xbox One than the PS4. MS showed the games I want to play, Sony had a few but not enough. I will start with a Xbox and maybe pick up a PS4 later.

Sony made all the right moves last night and now Microsoft is in trouble. A hundred dollars less is going to put a real dent into what Microsoft is trying to sell, especially since there is only one Xbox One package. I don't plan on using the Kinect and I don't know why they insist on including it with the Xbox One.

I think this will be hard to defend against when the Xbox One is asking for 499$. Even now, when they are both asking for paid online, Sony is offering a much better platform, so i think the console will be pretty much dead even before release.

That's your opinion, I feel I'm getting my moneys worth buying a Xbox One, same with a PS4. Someone is buying the Xbox One because Amazon.com US is sold out of day one consoles.

I hate to say it, but Sony completely curb stomped Microsoft last night. It was almost sad to watch, honestly. There will still be trendsetters that will pay for an XBOX One to be sure, but the internet and gamers as a whole are against their draconian trade and DRM models. As am I. I want XBOX exclusives, but not at the cost of everything that I'd have to put up with the One.

Just because its cheaper, doesn't make it a better console. I see $500 worth of product when I look at everything the Xbox One has to offer. While it would be nice to be cheaper, it really doesn't faze me to have to pay $100 more than another console. I just hope Sony didn't do this to make people want to buy it and then can't afford to pay the bills because they went too low on the price.

Well a report just came out that sony will have multiple versions of the system at launch. The cost will be $399-$599 dollars. So it looks like Sony only revealed the lowest costing model. I need to find that article and post it.

Multiple versions? That's crap man. They're really trying to suck in peoples money aren't they? Sheesh.

Gamespot broke the story via industial insider or something. Google search its number 1. Its only a rumor so its anyone's guess if its true regarding the multiple versions.

I don't even know how Microsoft could really compete now, unless they're going to say that the XBone doubles as a PC or something ;\ Sony kind of flat out destroyed E3 on the first day. I will more than likely get a PS4 now :\, I'm gonna miss the Chief.

The price point for the PS4 is what swayed me...well really got me to question what I was going to do. The Sony keynote was underwhelming up until the "no online check-in" and price reveal. As someone who has a stable internet connection I really didn't care about the check-in, mainly because I assumed both consoles would swing that way. Sony through me a curveball there and then went for the knockout with the price (which I didn't realize at the time makes sense given that they are requiring that you pay for online multiplayer...they expect to make a good chunk of money from that). From a purely games perspective I would have to say the PS4 is the winner, it is cheaper, evenly or better powered, a good number of exclusives and will be supported via multi-platform games. I think the intangibles, which we will figure out over time will make the XBox One enticing though.

I was thinking about what Microsoft is trying to do and I know they are trying to innovate and still reassure publishers that their licenses won't get exploited. Downloading your games to your hard drive, allowing you to play them from anywhere, allowing you to browse the internet, watch tv, or play a game side by side. Queuing up a multiplayer game in a different game from the game you are playing right now, that is just stuff that right now we don't really comprehend all that much but seems like something that could be killer features in the long run.

Sony just took a huge crap on Microsoft. They just said screw you to Microsoft. No used game policy, no online requirements, and only $399. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying the Xbox One after this. PS4 all the way!

What I don't get is why Microsoft would kill their market and customers with these stupid rules and restrictions. I mean are they that desperate for more money? Don't they already have enough!

What I don't get is why Microsoft would kill their market and customers with these stupid rules and restrictions. I mean are they that desperate for more money? Don't they already have enough!
Really, I'm not so sure, MS might be smarter than you think. Games make a lot of money for MS, a lot of people that are so call leaving, if you can believe them, don't buy very many new games. MS will now make money on there published used games. Usually a console looses money for a couple years, if people wait to purchase a Xbox one MS will then be making money on them. In the end they might just make more money, will have to wait and see.

Really, I'm not so sure, MS might be smarter than you think. Games make a lot of money for MS, a lot of people that are so call leaving, if you can believe them, don't buy very many new games. MS will now make money on there published used games. Usually a console looses money for a couple years, if people wait to purchase a Xbox one MS will then be making money on them. In the end they might just make more money, will have to wait and see.

Perhaps. I guess it'll make up for the money they're losing on Windows 8 eh? The worst OS since Vista according to most people. Myself included.

Back