Xbox 360 Vertical or Horizontal?

Which way?

• Total voters
I think the best way to set your Xbox is vertical.That way you can keep it from getting to hot. Just don't be stupid enough to put it anywhere so it ends up getting tipped over. As long a you use common sense, and set it up in a secure place. You won't have to worry about it getting tipped over and being damaged. :eek:

Man, barely anyone does vertical. Mine is set vertical, I have it on a very minimalistic shelf under my wall-mounted TV. I have a little box from Ikea to its right, that has all the cables and power brick hidden inside, and to its left is a Mac Mini with an external hard drive sitting on top of it. It's as absolutely minimal as I can get it to be.

My Xbox is horizontal. That's how it fits the best on my entertainment center and it's the way that seems safest.
I have cats so leaving it vertical just is a set up for disaster.

Also, as said above, it seems more natural. Every game console I grew up with laid horizontal.

Mine is in the horizontal position. My old original 360 was placed vertically for a little while, but after knocking it over and it messing up the CD drive I decided that horizontal was probably safer. It seems like the One will be horizontal only, so I'm glad I'm not too dependent on having to place it vertical.

I usually set it horizontal, I know it's probably not the best way but otherwise it would probably got knocken over or broken, ecspecially in my house. But I have set it up verticle before.

Horizontal. My simple, clean wood box case is where I store all my consoles. It's pretty wide in length, but width-wise, it's not very tall. I store my consoles that I play every once in a while in the case. I have a separate drawer where I keep my other consoles I don't use much.

I've always kept my XBox vertical. That being said, I've never had any problems that way. There are many arguments for which is better; however, what should be noticed is that as long as you're never moving it while it's on, or a game is inside of it, you should be okay.

Another quite productive thread. Lets keep this going! Which way do you place your Xbox?

Horizontal any day. I place mine on 4 bottle caps to lift it off the shelf a bit to get better air flow, that way I can reduce the temperature by about 10 degrees C which helps to extend the life of the console. Also vertical just seems dangerous and it could easily fall over.

When I had my 360 set up I usually had it horizontal because I felt it was better that way, though now that my brother has the 360 it is usually vertical so that it can fit properly on the TV stand. I just felt safer with it on it's side rather then standing up because it was less likely to fall over.

I have actually had two games laserburn-die with a vertical setup. I have been horizontal ever since and I've never had an issue. It also seems to help the ventilation of the heat a lot more, too.

I hear alot about the Xbox 360 overheating after a while. But my main concern is keeping the fan open. Alot of people tell you to keep the Xbox 360 on its side so your games don't get ruined but then the air doesn't go through as well. Alot of people have told me to put my xbox facing up and down so the air travels through better, but then i'm worried about the discs being scratched. Could someone help me on this? I would also like to know if it scratches your disc if you put your xbox up and down. Thanks.

-Rocky

I keep my Xbox flat on the table where it's horizontally laying there. I never had any problems with overheating and it's been functioning very well for a few years now. The best way to prevent overheating is just to make sure there is nothing blocking the airways for air to ventilate. Also, try to keep the room temperature pretty cool when playing on the Xbox. Other than that, you don't really have to flip it any other way than flat and it should work just fine!

Until last year i kept my Xbox up to down, but i moved into a new room and it looked butter flat.

I keep mine flat on it's side. I never felt comfortable leaving it upright. I am clumsy, so I can imagine bumping into my entertainment stand and knocking my 360 over. I also don't like loading the games sideways like that. I just hate sticking them in the tray. It seems like they are going to fall off before it closes.

I've had it both ways, doesn't make a lick of difference. Don't knock it over when its up and don't sit on it when its flat and you'll succeed in the game of not destroying your xbox. I think that you have to remember to give it enough room so that it can deal with heat as efficiently as possible. That's just true of any console. Doesn't matter otherwise.

I have mine in horizontal position. The first time I put it vertical, I accidentally nudged my Xbox causing it to tip over. I managed to catch it before it fell on its' side, but it was too late the damage had taken its' toll. My disc got scratched rendering it useless. After that moment, I never kept it vertical. You get more stability, and it's impossible to tip over.

I don't understand why anyone would put any console at all in vertical position. It's just too risky, especially for something that you (or your parents..) spent a lot of money on. No console (besides the Wii) was made to be vertical really, and anyone that puts it in a vertical position is really pushing the limits of the console. Ahh, it makes me nervous just thinking about it :p

Back