Xbox One 5 year old cracks Microsoft security.

Amazing story and one that is unsettling. If its so easy that a five year old can do it imagine what else could happen!

Well, like you said, a real hacker wouldn't have thought to do it. Not because it's so stupid, but it most likely just wouldn't occur to them. Which is the same thing which has happened with the programmers. They just didn't think of the situation, 'Hey what if we just enter dashes instead of everything?' It isn't really incompetence. It's just an oversight in the programming. It happens more often than you would think when you're programming something.

Probably so. But that just proves how unrealiable the tech can be.

Haha, this is pretty funny. Kids sure are getting smart with technology these days ;). But on a serious note, I think this makes it clear that something needs to be done about security.

Haha, this is pretty funny. Kids sure are getting smart with technology these days ;). But on a serious note, I think this makes it clear that something needs to be done about security.

They have to have everything encrypted so it would be harder to crack and they have to make it possible for only them to crack.

Of course. All tech is unreliable. Like, every single piece of tech you use is reliable. It's not just Microsoft.

I know man, that's why whenever I buy a new gadget I try it out to make sure it doesn't have any defects.

Of course. All tech is unreliable. Like, every single piece of tech you use is reliable. It's not just Microsoft.

True, true. They can be. But. this thing with a kid cracking MSFT's security already shows everybody the truth to that.

Am I the only one wary of this story, especially considering the dad works in security. The pessimist in me wonders if the dad figured this out and made it into his kids discovery for a more interesting story.

You are missing the point.

It is not about Microsoft's Security be cracked, it is about how, and who did it. All dashes as a password bypass? They cannot justify that to me in any way. That is pure incompetence. Microsoft security was so was easy to break that a 5 year old could do it.

That is all that needs to be said.

Awesome! Microsoft should release a security breach game starring this kid!

J

Am I the only one wary of this story, especially considering the dad works in security. The pessimist in me wonders if the dad figured this out and made it into his kids discovery for a more interesting story.

Hmmm... you know, I'm beginning to get your point. Thinking about it, this could just be a re-worked story. I don't know... sometimes, news stories can be lies too.

yea....I'm still super confused about this, if it was just a parent account that means that the account was already on the xbone right? so then the password he "cracked" was the password for the child lock which I dunno if it's just the one where you have to do like "up up a b a" or if it's an actual password?

Either way since the account was already on the xbone doesn't that mean that in order for this to actually be a threat you'd have to get the person's account on your xbone first which would mean knowing their windows live account and their password?

yea....I'm still super confused about this, if it was just a parent account that means that the account was already on the xbone right? so then the password he "cracked" was the password for the child lock which I dunno if it's just the one where you have to do like "up up a b a" or if it's an actual password?

Either way since the account was already on the xbone doesn't that mean that in order for this to actually be a threat you'd have to get the person's account on your xbone first which would mean knowing their windows live account and their password?

probably the kid was spying on his dad when he made the password.

Wow. Well if a five year old can crack the security of a multi-million dollar company, then I guess I have to really change the password of my email account this instant.

Wow. Well if a five year old can crack the security of a multi-million dollar company, then I guess I have to really change the password of my email account this instant.

Haha. I know man, I don't know if that was just sheer luck or talent, either way we have to be careful.

They were probably super close and the kid had some photographic memory to memorize what the dad was doing,

I cannot believe this has happened. Microsoft should really check its security before having any problems like this again.

Back