Xbox One A week after Playstation 4?

John Henry

So, what will it mean for the XBox One launching a week after the Playstation 4? Is the competition going to be good for sales? I don't understand the strategy, but I suppose they know what they are doing. Right?

Microsoft might be hurting their bottom line by directly competing with the cheaper option. They are still going to receive a huge cushion from Christmas purchases though. The Kinect is an underestimated piece of technology that might end up being a great investment.

I think for the reason they delayed other country launches was to be able and give their largest markets full access to new machines. So in doing this strategy I think we will see that 1 week after be all day one preorders then going into Black Friday weekend and onto Christmas it will be a sell out demand. Where as playstation 4 will have maxed out their product over more countries, which in turn will mean less consoles in the United States and Europe. I really think that one week won't matter.

The delay is based on the fact that they want to be Sony into Europe, albeit in a much smaller scale than Sony will attempt. They are not worried about sales in North America because regardless of the release date, the initial allotment is all pre-orders and therefore makes no difference on when they launch. The initial push is already sold. The advantage will be who has more units for those people who have not reserved their unit and will be looking for a new console closer to Christmas. Availability is the bigger factor, not the release date.

The delay is based on the fact that they want to be Sony into Europe, albeit in a much smaller scale than Sony will attempt. They are not worried about sales in North America because regardless of the release date, the initial allotment is all pre-orders and therefore makes no difference on when they launch. The initial push is already sold. The advantage will be who has more units for those people who have reserved their unit and will be looking for a new console closer to Christmas. Availability is the bigger factor, not the release date.

Well said. They do not need to worry about the market over here.

All I know is that it's not going to release here in India before 2014 which is really dismaying. I am going to have to buy a PS4 first.

I don't see a week making much difference in sales. If there were 3-4 weeks between launch, I would be worried. I'm not going to suddenly become a PS4 guy so I can game for one extra week (even if I did want to switch, I think it is sold out anyway). I would think people have made up their minds by now and that isn't going to change things.

Both console pre-sales are going really well, I don't think you'll see many on the shelves that week anyway.

Well, release dates being a week after one another isn't generally a big deal, but they're putting themselves a week after the cheaper and better received option, which is, uh, a very bad idea. They should've gone before Sony, rather than after. This way, anyone who's on the fence will probably default to PS4, seeing as how it's available sooner and at a lower price point.

Well, release dates being a week after one another isn't generally a big deal, but they're putting themselves a week after the cheaper and better received option, which is, uh, a very bad idea. They should've gone before Sony, rather than after. This way, anyone who's on the fence will probably default to PS4, seeing as how it's available sooner and at a lower price point.

You might want to rethink that again. If you went to Best Buy, and saw only a PS4 on the 15th with that small shelf of launch titles...you will not be too happy. Because I bet there will be alot of buyers remorse the next week when people see the X1 and a biger shelf of launch titles that they cannot play.

You might want to rethink that again. If you went to Best Buy, and saw only a PS4 on the 15th with that small shelf of launch titles...you will not be too happy. Because I bet there will be alot of buyers remorse the next week when people see the X1 and a biger shelf of launch titles that they cannot play.

There is so much that I want to say about Best Buy customers that would be totally inappropriate. But anyhow... If you buy a PS4 after the 22nd at Best Buy, make sure you are getting a new console, and not a gently used one;)

There is so much that I want to say about Best Buy customers that would be totally inappropriate. But anyhow... If you buy a PS4 after the 22nd at Best Buy, make sure you are getting a new console, and not a gently used one;)

lol I was just using them as an example. I mean any place where you can buy one lol.

Anyone who can't wait a week for the Xbox One to come out aren't on the fence. This isn't the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 launch where you had a whole year between them.

And people watching football and seeing the XB1 ads are going to wait the extra 7 days.

This is not the issue people are making it out to be.

Anyone who can't wait a week for the Xbox One to come out aren't on the fence. This isn't the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 launch where you had a whole year between them.

And people watching football and seeing the XB1 ads are going to wait the extra 7 days.

This is not the issue people are making it out to be.

Yup, like I said before, if you buy a ps4 just because of the week difference, you were never going to buy the XB1.

Yup, like I said before, if you buy a ps4 just because of the week difference, you were never going to buy the XB1.

Correct. Kina like how a lot of people that didn't want DRM probably weren't going to buy the X1 int he 1st place. But it is what it is. If someone told me in person they weren't getting an X1 becqause they had to wait a week...id fart and walk away

I'm not even sure it even matters at this point. Microsoft has already said this is going to be the largest launch of an Xbox console in their history, and it's trending way above the 360.

If you think about it, the 360 sold what, just under a million at launch? So that means that it's likely the Xbox One is going to sell over a million in all their launch countries with the bulk being NA. Even if the Playstation 4 sells more, the Xbox One is going to be plenty successful and have it's own momentum going into 2014.

So again, them launching a week after the PS4 will make little to no difference. And BTW with all the talk about the XB1 being $100 more expensive and so on, if the PS4 doesn't blow it out of the water and sales are close, that's not going to be the big win that the Sony fans think it is.

Pfft, cause after 1 week, the PS4 will be old news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, I don't really think it will make a huge difference at all. Except maybe for the spontaneous buyer (who spontaneously spends hundreds of $$$$$$$).

Well, I suppose people do have their prefrences. And when XBox One fans see the Playstation 4 news about their sales, they are going to gather in masses and do their best to outdo them. Right?

MS already has an established fan base. The more I read on this and the PS4 forums alot of gamers are going to XB1. They like the live TV and snap features.

Back