Xbox 360 Graphics or Gameplay?

Gameplay for sure. No matter how bad the graphics are, IF the gameplay is good and addicting, I will surely enjoy it! For example Dota. If you were to compare Dota to other games (not dota 2) you will surely think the graphics are HORRIBLE but I still like it because the gameplay is the best ;)

I would definitely choose the one with the best gameplay. A good gameplay is what makes the game fun to play, right? I mean why would you even care about the graphics if the game is boring? I guess it's a personal choice...

There is a certain threshold in which graphics and gameplay perfectly align. Currently, games go far-ahead of what I consider in that threshold. Unfortunately, it seems that as graphics go up a seemingly significant drop in gameplay quality goes down in exchange. A game with Nintendo Gamecube graphics and spectacular gameplay like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door would be one of those games.

I should really feel bad for saying this, but I do care about graphics. They add an atmosphere so much more surreal than just blocky, retrograde textures that can have my friends saying "I can see the pixels!". Unless the game is good enough in my honest opinion to have me ignoring the grotesque quality, it can really be a problem.

I would definitely choose gameplay over graphics. I feel a lot of game developers nowadays focus too much on graphics while sacrificing gameplay. In the short run, graphics do engage the audience for a time. However, gameplay is what keeps us in the game.

I should really feel bad for saying this, but I do care about graphics. They add an atmosphere so much more surreal than just blocky, retrograde textures that can have my friends saying "I can see the pixels!". Unless the game is good enough in my honest opinion to have me ignoring the grotesque quality, it can really be a problem.

Yes, graphics really contributes a great deal to a video game. Looks certainly do matter. I normally look at a game that has great graphics. Let's not forget though that games are meant to be played and not just to be looked at. I think a game that has bad graphics but great gameplay would provide a better gaming experience as compared to a game with great graphics but poor gameplay. It would be best though if a game has both great graphics and great gameplay.

To be quite honest, a good balance of both is needed for a great game. Without good graphics, there is no appeal and without a good game experience it would be a huge waste of time.

I would definitely choose gameplay. There are some old Sega Dreamcast games that have 1990's graphics but are a lot of fun to play. It's more important for a game to be fun than beautiful. People still play old games because they're fun and addictive. If you have a pretty game with broken ,crappy gameplay, you'll be bored of it after 10 minutes.

To be quite honest, a good balance of both is needed for a great game. Without good graphics, there is no appeal and without a good game experience it would be a huge waste of time.

What about all the old Playstation 1 and 2 games that have outdated graphics but people still play them every day? Are you saying Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, and Final Fantasy 7 are a waste of time because the graphics are old?

Gameplay.
But it depends on the level of the graphics too, we all became used to good graphics such as Battlefield 3 or Assassins Creed 3, and we wouldn't want to go back to the graphics of GTA 3, right?
So, I believe it should be somewhere in the middle, with a little advantage for the gameplay.

I appreciate the thought that a good balance of graphics and gameplay make for a good game but I'm a bit older and played NES and Atari games so I'd give the edge to gameplay over graphics.

Gameplay for sure. Graphics are amazing and are a huge bonus, but I've played some beautiful games where the gameplay was just terrible. While I wouldn't want to go back to the pixelated graphics of long past, I'd have to go with 75% gameplay, 25% graphics.

I will always choose gameplay over graphics, I prefer games that do some innovation in the gameplay side, games like Katamary damacy are fresh air in the middle of tons of first person shooters and racing games etc, graphics will always improve from time to time because hardware is constantly evolving, but gameplay innovations are always harder to achieve because they depend on the imagination and talent of game developers,

Gameplay is the most important thing for me. I don't care if it's the best looking game in the world. If the gameplay sucks, I'm not going to stay interested.

Looks look gameplay wins over graphics. I belong 80’s generation and we don’t even hear of “graphics” back then but we still enjoyed playing Commando, super Mario and Street Fighter. Definitely I go for gameplay. But when it comes to sexy times videos, I choose graphics. ;)

They need a combination of both, but I would learn towards gameplay if I had to pick. If you had shiny red Ferrari, but couldn't drive it, what would be the point?

Graphics or Gameplay...
And this depends on how bad the graphics is. Generally I would prefer gameplay and excellent storyline over graphics. But these days I would find going to playing an SNES graphic game after having played God of War (or) Gears of War, is a turn off. The game on SNES will most likely have to be a puzzle game to keep my interest. I don't really have the willpower to play any RPGs with less graphics than Final Fantasy 7

Now if we are talking about graphics in the degree of Infamous vs Metal Gear Solid 4- Infamous having lesser graphics by contrast for a PS3 game, then I'd almost always go for gameplay.

Last edited:
Gameplay over Graphics any day! Your not buying a game to look at how realistic it is depicted on the television. Your buying a game to have fun! Their is no point if your not enjoying what you are doing. I remember when I had super nintendo back in the day. Those graphics were not great at all, but I had fun playing those games. Its always about gameplay.

Look at Minecraft and there you have your answer lol.
Gaming has always been about gameplay and fun. Reminds me.. don't judge a book by its cover.

If the gameplay is fun, the graphics do not matter to me. I used to play text adventures and they are still fun till this day, with no graphics.

Back