Xbox 360 Graphics or Gameplay?

Gameplay.
i.e. Fallout 3
Not an ugly open-world game, but not a beaut either yet this game is probably my favorite game of all time!

Gameplay is always the more important factor but at a certain point even the best gameplay can not always save an absolutely terrible looking game. Of course gameplay can definitely make a so-so looking game a memorable piece of art and at some point I think we should just say
"Hey I think this is pretty good looking how about we make the game now?"

lol I like how you described Fallout 3 because it's definitely not ugly and it's not the prettiest, but that middle ground adds to the game in my opinion. It's one of those games that is mostly brown and gray and the immediately identifiable mechanic is the FPS element, but it's far beyond a FPS. There's so many other things going on in Fallout 3 even with the solid at best story. Ton of lore, lots of action, plenty of freedom, stuff to explore. Incredible game.

All I can say in reply to this is, "Why not both?"

Seriiously. If graphics don't matter, Daggerfall is a way better game than Skyrim.

Graphics are more of the proper placing and presentation of food in fancy cuisine. Small portions, but very clean, symmetrical, and with that spoonful of sauce whipped across the plate. It looks gorgeous, but it's like you can't get full on the smell and sight.

The gameplay is like going to get a full on meal at like a buffet or a feast. Your plate might be over filled and stuff might be mixed together, it might look ugly at time, and all that but it tastes good and you're full. Having both is great, but one is less necessary than the other.

I prefer gameplay over graphics. There's really never been a time when I've preferred graphics over a good story, good mechanics, and so on.

For me I think both elements are important. If I get a game that has great graphics and then it doesn't have good game play then I don't think that it was worth it but if a get a game that has good game play but the graphics are crappy I think I would still let it pass but I honestly can't stand a good game that just plain out looks horrible on the eyes to me it kinds of takes away from the game. Lately it seems as if the video game developers are spending more time on the graphics instead of improving the gameplay for the player of the game.

Gameplay above everything.

And in the subject of graphics, for me a good consistent art design is much more important than pure graphics. Games like Journey are much more interesting to me from a visual standpoint than visual powerhouses like Crysis 3.

I would rather have great game play and poor graphics because no matter how good the graphics are, if the game play sucks, it would ruin t he experience. I might as well go outside and look at the scenery if I wanted realistic graphics or like a painting, because if there is no good game play, it is not really a games in my books. It's just a video where you can control what to look at.

This thread brings back the arguments I had with my brother. I personally would choose gameplay over graphics any day, when a game would get released that I really liked and wanted to buy and would ask my parents if they could buy me this if I did a certain amount of chores or good grades or whatever they wanted my brother would first have to review it and see if it had good enough graphics for him to enjoy also the game because if he did not like it then my parents would not buy it, I loved good quality gameplay because it makes the game and if you are genuinely having fun while playing that game the graphics would not matter.

As much as I can be mesmerized by fabulous graphics it is the game play for me as well. Its nice to look at the graphics but I am there to play the games!

Graphics of course! Duh? If a game is not HD enough it has no place in the gaming world. Just kidding. Of course gameplay is far more superior that graphics, if you want to see high definition flying visuals then go see a CG movie. Games are meant to be played not look into, it's the experience that counts. But you still have to consider providing awesome visuals cause quite frankly, some games that are good often goes out the window because of crappy visuals and animation.

Think about it like this, gameplay is the doughnut and graphics are the sprinkles. If you don't have a compelling story, fun gameplay, and a decent way of stringing them both together, your game will be garbage. A lot of games blow their whole budget on graphics and drop the ball everywhere else (see the difference between Dark Souls and Bulletstorm)

While graphics are fairly important to me in a video game, I would much rather have an interesting story line. What is the point of a game having great graphics if the game itself is terrible?

I think it is dumb for game developers to put in so much time and effort into making excellent graphics, only to make a crappy story line.

Its game play by far, after all it is a game! I love the graphics but I play the game and not just watch fascinating graphics.

I think the fact that there are tons of games out there and games that have been successful with horrible graphics or even out dated (on purpose) graphics prove that in the end it all comes down to gameplay. Heck, look at a system like the Wii which has always had the worse graphics in comparison? It does well because people really love the games. So yes, it's all about game play.

Think about it like this, gameplay is the doughnut and graphics are the sprinkles. If you don't have a compelling story, fun gameplay, and a decent way of stringing them both together, your game will be garbage. A lot of games blow their whole budget on graphics and drop the ball everywhere else (see the difference between Dark Souls and Bulletstorm)

Both Dark Souls and Bulletstorm are awesome games that look good. I don't get what you're saying, man.

Though I do wanna eat a doughnut now.

I think the fact that there are tons of games out there and games that have been successful with horrible graphics or even out dated (on purpose) graphics prove that in the end it all comes down to gameplay. Heck, look at a system like the Wii which has always had the worse graphics in comparison? It does well because people really love the games. So yes, it's all about game play.

I agree with this but I honestly think that something that adds to a good game is the graphics as well. Really to me when a game has really crappy graphics I do not think that the game is fun to play. I have played games that have good gameplay but the graphics are really horrible and it really did kill the game experience for me in that game. I agree with what you said though there have been some games that had really bad graphics and they were still really great games.

Back