Xbox One Infinity Ward Didn't want to Continue Call of Duty

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
20110701InfinityWard.jpg

The studio that created Call of Duty and its success didn't want to continue the series after Modern Warfare 3. Mainly because 46 senior members of staff quit the team and studio founders were fired over a dispute over Modern Warfare 2 royalties and planned defections to EA.

Infinity Ward teamed up with another studio under Activision, Sledgehammer Games, to finish Modern Warfare 3. Everyone thought Infinity Ward and Call of Duty was doomed after this, but staff who stayed didn't want to let go of the studio and franchise just yet, and neither did the fans. As Call of Duty continues to be the top played game on Xbox LIVE and went on to break previous year records.

You can read more about this story at MCVUK.com.

Based on how Modern Warfare 3 turned out and the fact other studios had to be used to create various aspects of the game, I'd argue they didn't want to continue past Modern Warfare 2.

Part of me wonders how much of this is just PR focused on all of the consumers that are clamoring for something new in the Call of Duty world. I think everyone that has played the last few installments in the series will attest that it's more or less the same game with different guns and maps. Will Ghosts actually be that much different? I hope so, but I doubt it. I imagine it will still have the familiar look and feel but with slight changes as we've seen in the most recent few games.

MW2 was their last good game. They somewhat wasted everyone's time and money with a slightly different rendering for MW3. That game had no properties that were worthwhile to continue the series. Hopefully they retire that studio for good while they are at it.

Man if MW2 had taken the multi=player settings that 4 had (dedicated servers/etc) and actually stopped people from playing MP with modded xbox's with the rest of us, I would of been even more in love with it than I was. I liked Black Ops a little bit mostly for the return of zombies, but tbf nothing really has come close since CoD4/WaW. Those games were epic and far beyond their time, it just sucks that IW has literally stayed where they were then and not progressed in the slightest.

I agree that MW2 was there last good game and the series went downhill from there. I actually think that every game in the series has been really good, but it has certainly gone downhill in my opinion. MW3 was quite disappointing, I think they should have stuck to improving upon the basis of MW2 instead of trying to renew so many elements to the game.

To be honest I am not surprised, but then again I am. I am not surprised because their series has gone on for quite a while now and many of the games have been quite similar which couldn't be much fun to work on again and again. Also the fan base has a very refined style game they want Call of Duty to be disallowing the company to change much and introduce new styles, or most things new.
But I am surprised because it's a big gaming company and there is big money involved! This is usually by far the biggest motivator for companies and the main goal. Thinking about the real reason they weren't going to create the game though it is very lucky they were able to keep enough staff to continue going. I wonder what exactly the staff got fired for.

With how popular the series I don't see Activision ending it until the truly run it into the ground and people start hating. And I don't really think that's gonna happen anytime soon seeing. They ran Guitar Hero into the ground fast but that's kind of because it was based off a gimmick and gimmick's get old, the COD series has a very successful formula and one that Infinity Ward might as well keep going while the going's good and as long as the fans keep enjoying the product I don't see anything wrong with it.

The COD games are certainly not bad by any means and the multiplayer provides hours and hours of entertainment and the series can and probably will get creative eventually with some actual future warfare someday.

There is no denying that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was their last good game, and even that was no match for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Although, I think that unlike other gaming companies Infinity Ward know when enough is enough, and they do want to stop while they are ahead. They can probably see that there is no more room to do well with the Call of Duty series after doing the same thing over and over again, so it's time to move onto better things. Good on them.

They want to continue don't for a second believe that. It has been a cash cow for them. What they don't like is gamers feeling their cash cow had layed down.
Think of it like this.. If bf4 was the new cod we would be praising them for the reboot they promised instead they stuck to a winning formula 7years ago. Cod ghost is showing off single player campaign mode. The core cod players don't care they want multiplayer and that is back shelf with ghost announcements instead its dog thing campaign that. Heck I don't think we have herd much about bf4 campaign.

Wow! I have never heard of Infinity Ward history. So, Activision was their savior, right? We wouldn't have the literally same game every year which sales like hot cakes if it wasn't for Activision.

Wow! I have never heard of Infinity Ward history. So, Activision was their savior, right? We wouldn't have the literally same game every year which sales like hot cakes if it wasn't for Activision.

from my understanding every other year one releases their viesion of the game.. be it cod ghost,modern war fare,black ops ect ect. that is why we get a cod titled game every year. and every year we get a season pass to fill in the blacks. it lets their developers work together to keep the games similar but not every year its the same title/developers releasing.

sad thing is once bf4 comes out if it does really well or u see cod taking a hit on sales compaired to bf4 you may actually see a reboot(as promised) but it will follow a close formula to dice's frost bite/levelution. i am not saying its next gen just yet... but i am thinking the formula bf4 has is getting allot of attention and with that comes followers.

but again. with the 2 companies developing cod each was making minor changes mostly geared at visual gameplay not allot was pushed on the things in the game. bullet damage to enviroment being a big one in my eyes.

Actually, I always enjoy single player campaigns. Modern Warfare was a huge hit because of its single player storyline and the game introduced characters like Soap, Price among many others. COD series should continue and Infinity Ward should somehow come out of this trouble. If only Treyarch keeps making games every year, we will eventually feel bored and stop playing the series. BF continues to survive mainly because there's no other such big titles in the multi-player world that gives a military-arcade experience.

I'm looking forward to Ghosts and wish Infinity Ward builds a new team to keep it coming. And, we can always play Titanfall which is also developed by execs who ditched Infinity Ward during MW2 dispute.

Does anyone really doubt that COD sales will be HUGE and will sell many millions of copies???

Sure BF will too, but even though the are both war type games, they are so different too.

Call of Duty as come a long way since 20013. I still remember buying the very first game. I kinda wish that they stop making these annual sequels to the game.

Back