Xbox One Next Generation Gaming

With the onset of virtual reality and headsets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive already out for purchase, it's going to get pretty crazy. They don't have anything like this for consoles yet, I know PS4 is launching their Morpheus product I believe later this year. Microsoft will probably do the same for Scorpio eventually. Bottom line, I remember when I was playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice city, way back in the day, and thinking "it doesn't get any more real than this". Games 10 years from now are going to look like real life, it's only a matter of time.

I really think that the next big thing is going to be VR. They have the technology to do it, it's all a question of time before it becomes more affordable. There are already some game developers that have talked about it, so it's not a question of if but when it will be launched for gaming.

Bottom line, I remember when I was playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice city, way back in the day, and thinking "it doesn't get any more real than this". Games 10 years from now are going to look like real life, it's only a matter of time.

Yes sir. I remember having the exact same thoughts basically my whole life playing games, even all the way back to the N64, thinking that was the greatest thing ever. It is crazy how fast these things evolve, and it really does make you excited to think about all the possibilities that are out there. VR seems to be what is on the horizon, but I would say it is going to go beyond that, which is awesome to sit back and ponder. Should be fun, and thanks for sharing.

I have asked myself the same question over and over again. I do not really know if graphics are going to keep evolving or what else developers are going to add to the next generation games, however, I've considered that they probably will create a new graphic source that will have some special features and such thing, probably 4D technology, or perhaps 3D, we never know, we just have to sit back, relax and wait.

@Casiox I think that if you look at the past and how much the games have evolved they probably will work more on giving a more realistic feel to the next generation games. I think that we will see developers concentrate more on improving the graphics for VR games.

@SirJoe People are putting all their focus on graphics and they are forgetting about everything else. Keep in mind that a game does not depend too much on the graphics, these are important, but graphics do not determine how good the game is.

@Casiox this is true, good game play is fundamental but the graphics are the eye candy. When ever they show a new game the thing that people see first are the graphics. That's how come developers spend a lot of time on them.

@SirJoe Graphics are the main focus and also the main resource when it comes to business, that's definitely what makes people go ahead and spend their money on the game, you're right, but you know that mechanics do the magic as well.

People are going to first focus on what catches their eye, and more often than not that's the graphics on a game, and how the game looks rather than how it plays. Personally, as a gamer for a few years I know as I'm sure we all do that that really the graphics aren't all that important when it comes to the games, but even now I see a game and the more impressive it looks, the more likely I am to purchase it, and the game developers know that is the case with a lot of people.

@SirJoe Graphics are the main focus and also the main resource when it comes to business, that's definitely what makes people go ahead and spend their money on the game, you're right, but you know that mechanics do the magic as well.
Yes that is true, but the first thing people will see are the graphics and will decide whether they will buy it or not. If they like the game play they will recommend it to friends so it's important to look at all aspects of the game. That is why games take such a long time to develop.

@SirJoe It all depends of the player, as I just told you. There are players that fall in love with the graphics and that's it, some other players fall with the storyline and some other players just fall with the main characters so there are many factors to be taken into account.

@Casiox exactly that's why I stated that all aspects of the game have to be taken into account and that games take a long time to develop.

Whether it depend on the player or not is irrelevant in a way though. Game developers have got into the habit now of concentrating more on the graphics than anything else, and even though a lot of gamers might say they are only interested in the game play, if a game came out that didn't have state of the art graphics, you'd probably find that they would be the first people to complain, and you'll soon see that maybe it matters more than you might think.

This is true other wise graphics wouldn't have evolved the way they have and we would still be playing Dos type games. All aspects of a game are important but the first look a person has of a game is the graphics. So they have to be good if the developers want to make the first sales. Word of mouth will do the rest.

When you look at the demos that get released as well, is it just me that thinks that the graphics on them often look better than what they do when the actual game comes out? I'm sure they do that to try and tempt people into buying the game, and they make it look better than it is to get that initial attraction from people.

@SirJoe Those could take a long while to be developed, but take into account that they need to release ASAP in order to lead the sales list, otherwise they will be the last ones in case Sony releases their exclusives.

When you look at the demos that get released as well, is it just me that thinks that the graphics on them often look better than what they do when the actual game comes out? I'm sure they do that to try and tempt people into buying the game, and they make it look better than it is to get that initial attraction from people.
I find that as well. It can really frustrating at times when you finally play the game, not only that but they only show the best parts that sometimes include spoilers.

@pwarbi I personally think that the graphics do not look better, the thing is that your brain is looking at it as something amazing the first time, that's why you do not think the same about the game after you have the official version, that's my opinion though.

People are going to first focus on what catches their eye, and more often than not that's the graphics on a game, and how the game looks rather than how it plays. Personally, as a gamer for a few years I know as I'm sure we all do that that really the graphics aren't all that important when it comes to the games, but even now I see a game and the more impressive it looks, the more likely I am to purchase it, and the game developers know that is the case with a lot of people.

It is just the first thing that you really notice about a game, which is natural. It makes sense that the ones with the more appealing graphics are the attention-getters, but we all know that the attention-keepers are where the real games are at. Sometimes they are one in the same, but of course there are some where the graphics are all fine and good but the game play just really does not live up to it as it should. Don't let your eyes deceive you, but they are still a good indicator. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

@rz3300 There are a ton of games that have really good graphics and these games suck really badly and people don't even like playing them because these are boring and whatnot, it definitely has to be a mix between graphics and a good storyline with an entertaining multiplayer mode.

Back