Xbox One The "New" Engine

Ridwan Sameer

So IGN Has reported that the proclaimed "New engine" Isn't really new at all. It's just a rehashed version of the Old IW Engine.

Does this piss you guys off? Or do you think they've modified it enough to be classified as New?

It's not surprising, but at the same time a modified engine which has its roots in an old engine is still a new engine. Considering how short the development cycle is on these games (under 2 years), it's really no wonder they don't have time to build an engine from scratch. In my opinion, take what works out of an old engine and enhance it and modify it. Once you've done that it might not even be recognizable when compared to the old engine.

If they modified it enough, I'd say it counts for new. But I guess I'll make that decision when I try it out. I mean, everything new is based on something old, right?

It's not surprising, but at the same time a modified engine which has its roots in an old engine is still a new engine. Considering how short the development cycle is on these games (under 2 years), it's really no wonder they don't have time to build an engine from scratch. In my opinion, take what works out of an old engine and enhance it and modify it. Once you've done that it might not even be recognizable when compared to the old engine.
Thats the problem here, why cant they wait longer and make something fresh sintead of giving us the same thing over and over?

I think its about time for an engine upgrade and with the new generations of consoles coming out its about the best time to do it, most gamers will be waiting to see what the game looks like on the new consoles before deciding which one to buy it for.
Its going to be an interesting time for the industry as I think the console manufacturers are going to need the software developers more than ever to try and push their console to the consumer during this recession.

I agree that it should not be considered a new graphics engine. They should specify that it is their former improved engine.

But between us .... COD is COD. You will never see such a large development with other games.
They do not have much time to make their games ... I hope we will better next year with another Call of Duty. Meanwhile, I will be on Battlefield 4.

Their is nothing new or a reboot with the new cod. I hope sales plum it and are forced to revamp it as a whole. If anything it looks like they are biting battlefield 3 style but failing miserably compared to bf4

You are now just getting pissed off that each CoD game has been a rehash on the same engine?

You're a little late to the party.

I've got to be honest and say that I'm not at all surprised here. From what I've heard all that the engine does different, is make fish move out of your way when swimming, and you can now roll on the ground. Then again, when you compare this to some of the changes from one Call of Duty title to another, this is actually massive! Remember that Activision want some quick money without doing a whole lot of work, and so long as they can keep their twelve year old fanbase alive, they are good to go.

I think after the launch of xb1 and bf4 cod will take a hit in sales and probably on pre sale and awards. Cod lost to borderlands2 on allot of awards and I think bf4 has out shined cod at e3 and in general interest thus fat.

If Microsoft didn't back cod so much I think the game would be forced to reboot or be competitive. Where cod hit a nitch early on bf4 has evolved to be competitive. Sorry the dog is not innovation

Not surprised at all. They will continue to recycle an engine until people stop paying for it.

Le them proclaim what they want. I have found my new love - BF 4. CODD series can die now. I don't give a damn about the same annual reiteration now.

I'm not that pissed off at all. I have roughly 5 days of playtime on COD: Black Ops II (yikes!), and I love the way the engine looks and feels. So If all they're doing is making improvements based on the old engine I'm psyched! If they make too many changes though... I guess we'll have to wait and see haha. I can see from gameplay videos that they are in ways trying to compare themselves to BF3, BF4, with features like; destructible environments, more camera sway and realistic gun sway, and while all of this is cool and all, what makes COD so fun is the fast-paced arcade-y feel it has, in my opinion. As long as the engine retains the feel of past games, I'll be happy I guess haha.

In my honest opinion, I think that no matter what they do to the IW engine, they will need some MAJOR.. I mean.. MAJOR revisions to make it considered a "new engine". Seems like they should scrap the whole thing and start working on a Call of Duty without the previous games in mind and try to appeal to the community through a new gaming experience, not the same old game over and over again. I am not saying that the IW engine is bad or anything of that sort, I'm simply implying that if we want to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1, we will. If we want a new game that we are going to spend 60 dollars or who knows how much nowadays, then we demand a new gaming experience. Don't you guys think so? :)

I am not surprised at all. With MW2 and MW3 it was so obvious that it was all just a rehash. The guns were just reskins and the maps were very similar. I won't be surprised when Ghosts comes out and it's very similar to the other Modern Warfares.

You can't just start a new engine. It will take forever. The engine is alot better, but some features are the same. Every year IW and Treyarch make a new game, alternating releases. That gives every developer 2 years to make their game. If you start a new engine 1.5 years into making your game, and the community wants a new game then you can't just start a new engine. They will work their best to make the engine as best as it can be, but it can't be 100% new.

Back