Xbox One Wall outlet or surge protector?

What are your thoughts on plugging the xbox one into a wall outlet directly or using a higher end surge protector? I've always used one but i see that like the 360 Microsoft is advising to plug the console directly into a wall out let.

I didn't know that Microsoft was advising people to plug the console directly into the wall. Personally, if it's expensive, I plug it into a surge protector. I've had lightning come in on too many things over the years to take my chances anymore.

I've had lightning come in on too many things over the years to take my chances anymore.
Why then plug appliances into something that does not claim to protect from lightning AND can even provide more paths to earth destructively via an attached Xbox? Do you listen to hearsay, myths, and advertising? Or first ask a damning question - such as what does that protector really do?

How does its near zero (thousand) joules stop or absorb lightning (easily hundreds of thousands of joules)? It doesn't. So why recommend it? Especially when a completely different solution was recommended that does prevent lightning damage - to an Xbox and all other appliances.

You are right, surge protectors don't work miracles. A guy I work with had lightning strike his house and it still fried most of his electronics. Still, a surge protector is better than nothing. If lightning hits you directly you're probably screwed, but I've had power surges from nearby strikes that a good surge protector will handle.

Anytime there is a threat of thunderstorms, I unplug my electronics to be safe (fortunately we don't get many in my area).

You are right, surge protectors don't work miracles. ... Still, a surge protector is better than nothing. If lightning hits you directly you're probably screwed, but I've had power surges from nearby strikes that a good surge protector will handle. .
Your telco's $multi-million computer (connected to every other building in town) suffers about 100 surges with each storm. How often is your town without phone service for four days while they replace that computer? Never? Why?

Because a completely different device, called a surge protector, is installed so that even direct lightning strikes do not cause damage. Damage from direct strikes is directly traceable to human failure.

A protector adjacent to electronics may be worse than no protector at all. Since an adjacent protector may even compromise better and existing protection. Better is nothing, or a completely different device called a surge protector (that you did not discuss).

Back