Xbox 360 Why Would You Choose a Console over PC?

dresdor

My wife asked me this the other day, as apparently NPR is doing a report on Console gamers that switched to PC, but I wanted other console users views on this.

Do you prefer Consoles to PC? Why? What would make you switch?

My answers are simply a matter of convenience. One thing I hated as a PC gamer was that in order to play the latest and best games I would have to upgrade my PC every couple of years. Compare that to my Xbox 360, which I've had for four years and can still run anything that comes out for Xbox (also consider that the last time I upgraded my gaming PC the bill was around $800, which was more than I paid for my Xbox and the amount of live subscriptions I've had for it).

Now I am not saying I do not have an ever growing steam library (I do), but when given the option, I get the game on my Xbox. Not a great thing for some games, like Skyrim, where modding might be better, but I'd rather know it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer owning a console simply because it's the "lazier" option. I have a relatively old gaming PC on the side, and I know it's a hassle to look up system requirements, buy/download something, install it, and hope that it works on my specific machine. A console has the advantage of running everything optimized to that select configuration, and it works the same everywhere. There's also the couch factor, there are games that are just more enjoyable when played on a couch in front of a large TV. Especially ones that have co-op and I have friends over or something.

Modding is a good point though, any game that's singleplayer and has modding support is generally played best on PC.

I prefer owning a console simply because it's the "lazier" option. I have a relatively old gaming PC on the side, and I know it's a hassle to look up system requirements, buy/download something, install it, and hope that it works on my specific machine. A console has the advantage of running everything optimized to that select configuration, and it works the same everywhere. There's also the couch factor, there are games that are just more enjoyable when played on a couch in front of a large TV. Especially ones that have co-op and I have friends over or something.

Modding is a good point though, any game that's singleplayer and has modding support is generally played best on PC.

Glad to know I am not the only one that feels like this.

I agree on the couch and multiplayer aspect. pretty soon id like to get the adapter that allows you to use your xbox 360 controllers on your PC. I think that would solve the couch issue.
Other than that i think one of the plusses for the console is not having to tweak graphics settings to make sure it works. Its in a box with your consoles logo, it will work in your console.

On the other hand, consoles are 95 percent backwards compatible, and dealing with graphical settings rewards you with graphics that are superior to those of consoles.

I started on console before pc really had any online gaming, and i always found it much more interesting.

I prefer consoles by far because the PC rarely has great exclusives. Nothing compares to the feel of playing a game with with your console and on your couch in your living room, especially not when playing in a seat in front of your PC's screen. I do enjoy some PC games though, such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which was my first open-world FPS. There are also MMOs which I am definitely addicted to.

Speaking as a gamer who owns both consoles and gaming PC there are several pros and cons I've found for each. I think, as previously mentioned, the main attraction of PC gaming is the ability to create and download mods which is fantastic, especially for games like Skyrim. PC games also seem to have larger community's. However time and time again I always find myself coming back to console gaming just because of the controller. It's probably the best feature of consoles. For example in Skyrim you can press "w" to run forward, but that's all you can do- run. There are differnt buttons to press to go at a different speed, but nothing beats pushing that analogue stick.

I own a gaming PC and both consoles too.
I find PC gaming to be the best when it comes to community, mods, gameplay, indie games, graphics and controls. I only upgrade my GPU every 3 years and the CPU every 4-5 years. The games are also way cheaper and I don't have to pay to be able to play online.
But sometimes I just want to sit on my couch and relax and play some video games that aren't on PC, and that's why I like console gaming.

I play both. I find that Minecraft is better for PC but games like Call of Duty are more suited for a console. I tend to switch it up, sometimes. Although, now with steam I find myself playing more and more games on my PC just out of the sheer price difference of Steam games compared to console games.

I think it would matter more if I played online, but the only online game I am interested in I play on steam. The controller issue isn't really a matter for me (though if I had the adapter I would have been able to get a steam achievement and a badge, oh well).

I've owned consoles all my life - but now that I have a slightly better laptop (that can actually run some games) I'm starting to see the appeal of PC gaming. Much cheaper to buy games, and the games have the capacity to look far better than console games ever could. My laptop isn't near those standards, but I can definitely understand why people choose PC over console.

Myself, when I get the money together, I'll get a purpose-built gaming PC. Given that there aren't really any must-have exclusives (in my eyes) for the PS4/X1, I'd rather have a PC to play multi-platform games than a console. I will probably buy one/both eventually though - exclusives are the main draw to a console over PC, which is why I always buy Nintendo consoles.

I'm more of a console guy myself, although I do own a PC on the side. For me, consoles are just a more convenient and accessible option. Invite some friends over, slap a disc in, grab a controller, and I'm set. Not to mention the ability to trade/swap games with friends, and the fact that I can sell my old ones I don't need or play anymore.

I have a gaming PC and a gaming rig (nice television, xbox 360) and I definitely spend more time on my console rig. A lot of people will say that they like the PC for all of the flexibility you get of them and then hate on the console generation for being weak or boring in respect. I am in complete disagreement on all counts. I love my console set up because it is something I can sit down in front of, grab a controller, and enjoy a game the way the creators intended me to. With the PC you have so many options in terms of modding or downloading patches or dealing with graphic settings... So you spend more time outside of the game customizing it to your preferences over actually playing.

So I guess to put it simply I would rather the console version of a game because it allows me to get into the gaming experience with no fuss and enjoy the game the way it was intended.

Speaking as a gamer who owns both consoles and gaming PC there are several pros and cons I've found for each. I think, as previously mentioned, the main attraction of PC gaming is the ability to create and download mods which is fantastic, especially for games like Skyrim. PC games also seem to have larger community's. However time and time again I always find myself coming back to console gaming just because of the controller. It's probably the best feature of consoles. For example in Skyrim you can press "w" to run forward, but that's all you can do- run. There are differnt buttons to press to go at a different speed, but nothing beats pushing that analogue stick.
You can actually buy an adapter for your pc that allows you to connect xbox 360 controllers.

Skyrim for PC actually has an option to change the control layout to xbox 360 controller.

Problem solved!

I prefer the PC Ofcourse.
Better graphics, Cheaper games, Steam, Customizability in almost everything.
And plus, I'm a geek, So I love customizing my PC with new parts and whatnot, Built my PC myself :)

I used to prefer PC's but now that I have less time I just prefer consoles, they are much more casual you can just buy a game and play it right on. No graphic driver upgrades, no windows updates, no need to config anything keyboard wise, etc. It seems small but it adds up and starts to be a huge waste of time, then after a while you need to update parts of your computer but not with a console. And it is also easier to play with several people in the same room.

The one-time investment for a proper gaming PC seems much higher, even if the future payoff is better (cheaper games). As far as I know it can take a lot of money to get a top-of-the-line gaming machine. It's a lot easier on the mind to just shell out some hundreds of dollars for a console and some games.

There is far too much hassle with a PC for me to use it exclusively for gaming. I am not interested in building a proper gaming PC, the investment is too high. Consoles on the other hand give you the freedom of "put the disc and start playing". I do game on my PC and laptop but I am not really interested in making them some sort of gaming hubs.

I started on console before pc really had any online gaming, and i always found it much more interesting.

that must have been a REALLY long time ago. Pretty sure pc's had online gaming before consoles.

I am predominantly console - why?

"New awesome game!" *Bought* *Insert disc* *Play* "Yeah!"

Effectively I like to get the most bang for my buck and that works best for console playing. All I have to do with a console is find a game whether new or old and put it in the console. I don't need to potentially get hacked due to financial actions online. I don't have to upgrade anything (which is expensive and time consuming). And I don't have to tweak anything much - maybe brightness and turning on subtitles. It's just easier overall and I'm trying to game not work.

Back