Xbox One Xbox One Launch Title Install Sizes Revealed

Some of the more demanding games use 20GB or more. It really makes me wonder what's the point of having the game in optical media if you're going to install 20GB (The average install size for a PC game nowadays).
I think most of us are going to have to buy a new HDD of at least 1TB.

By MS making the HDD unmovable, I'm sure they are aware of the game sizes and have a plan in case of HDD overages. Probably why external drives are compatible with the XB1.

J

Good news...but will you acess your game via cloud or HDD?

You can do either I think. If your home on your Xbox One it will use the HD, if you sign on at a friends house, it will use the cloud.

One major benefit of the cloud is supposed to be it makes all your games available on any Xbox One you sign on from.

You can do either I think. If your home on your Xbox One it will use the HD, if you sign on at a friends house, it will use the cloud.

One major benefit of the cloud is supposed to be it makes all your games available on any Xbox One you sign on from.

Only if it's a full digital download. You can't play off the cloud if it was a disc based game, regardless of the fact that you still need to install it.

Only if it's a full digital download. You can't play off the cloud if it was a disc based game, regardless of the fact that you still need to install it.

I was not sure, but you are right.

i wonder how a 1-2tb apple time capsule would work in conjunction to to the xb1.

it seems the only way to combat the 500g internal non removable hd.

even if you did a full on usb 1-2tb hd running off an open port what are you giving up as far as gameplay goes. i think the lantency will get worse having to pull from extrnal hd,clous and process it with wifi.. in all honesty its a massive ammount of data to transfer let alone putting in multiplayer.. im just thinking games like bf4 with 20+multiplayer cloud and pulling from a hd.. thats not taking into account all the processing going on behind the ui tv,apps and all that.

it just seems an all in one console needs more than 500gb off the factory floor for games let alone system updates..
lets see how big the ui/system size is in 5 years with just apps and updates no games or anything.

dont forget 500 is the alloted number.. you are really starting at less than 500.

i feel the general user is going to blow thru the first 200gb in the first 6 months. i concider myself a general user.

bf4 33gb
forza5 31gb these three alone put me at 84g
as creed 20gb

day one update is 500mb.. not gb
netflix app size is roughly 13mb without any updates iirc
amazon prime is 38.6mb(english) without updates
hulu plus is 12.5mb(english) with the recent bux/fix update

what are the sizes of the video's you can upload/edit/share.. this in itself is a fast way to blow thru hd space.. with games like bf4,cod,forza5 this is also a major thing people enjoying doing.

I have several external drives and I wonder if any would work with the system. Might be the first thing I try.

J

I agree, I'm guessing it's not large at all. Game is looking really good though!

J

Actually the reason that these game install files are so large is so that they can remove the DRM functions when initially booting the game without breaking the game or making it unplayable. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in file size as we move into the next quarter and more games are developed and released under the understanding that Xbox is no longer requiring DRM functionality.

I know its a pain, but I think we are glossing over you can always remove and reinstall games at anytime
so space will never really be an issue and can always be available if needed.

I however dont see this as a problem i ALWAYS go buy my games from a store i never download them off of xbox live its just what ive always done...but i do plan on installing some of them to the xbox but it wont take up a whole lot of my space but it does kinda suck how small the hard drive is in the new xbox

I however dont see this as a problem i ALWAYS go buy my games from a store i never download them off of xbox live its just what ive always done...but i do plan on installing some of them to the xbox but it wont take up a whole lot of my space but it does kinda suck how small the hard drive is in the new xbox

I'm just kinda surprised that they didn't go with a terabyte drive. Especially since most HDDs are becoming, by standards, that large.

J

I know its a pain, but I think we are glossing over you can always remove and reinstall games at anytime
so space will never really be an issue and can always be available if needed.

True. And I know I personally don't have the need to load many games on the HDD.

J

Yeah, external hard drives or investing in internal hard drive replacements will be a must to compensate for this large size should they implement that compatibility. I have a 750GB external hard drive that’s very useful for storing other games from other consoles, and I hope facing the reality with these large game sizes won’t affect gamer’s dispositions on this too much.

Maybe like others have stated, they’re large to prevent issues from games being rendered useless or incompatible to play. Either way, it’s pretty much inevitable for people to invest in external hard drives. That’s at least 70+ bucks out of pocket if you’re lucky to get external hard drives like transcend 750gb and all that. Might provide an inconvenience, but there will be a lot of updates…A LOT.

Back