Xbox One Does Skyrim get flak for the wrong things?

TomRalphio

Some common complaints I've heard are "The world doesn't react to what I've done," "The world seems so static, it doesn't feel like anything ever changes," "the depth of the characters was really shallow," or "The game never gave me many real choices or moral decisions on how I wanted to affect things." These gripes seem to miss the goal of Skyrim or misunderstand it. Let's take a look at the goal of Skyrim and compare it to a more character-driven series, such as The Witcher.

You can tell just by the title of the two games where the emphasis is going to be: Skyrim is the story of Skyrim, of the world itself, not of you. The Witcher, however, focuses on the main character Geralt, giving you control over some major choices and highlighting his personality and development. It seems that some people were expecting the latter in Skyrim, wanting to see major changes in the world around them from their actions.

I think Skyrim's intention was to be more of a playground or a theme park (for both players and modders), bustling with pre-built attractions for you to discover. If you come looking for profound moral choices, character development, and a sense of agency, then you'll have a bad time. However, if you're just looking to discover interesting locales and mini-stories, you'll enjoy it.

If, however, you're giving Skyrim flak for things like bland combat, unbalanced skills and perks, boring dragon fights, and quests that give you mediocre or awful rewards, those are very legitimate complaints - fortunately, most of those can be remedied with mods.

What do you all think? Am I wrong for calling some complaints more legitimate than others because they relate to the core goals of the game?

I agree. It's not uncommon for people to complain that games aren't something they want, even when it makes no sense. For example, complaining that LA Noire doesn't allow the freedom of GTA.

Ahhh.... almost similar to the thread we had here about story or exploration. Nah, you're not wrong about this dood. Some people will always go for that. Maybe the games were really intended like that. You can't always please everyone.

I think Skyrim's got flak for all those wrong things. Whad do you expect? It's Elder Scrolls! Of course the world will not change by your will. It's the game for people who care more about the world. It's not everybody's game so I guess that's how it is.

Skyrim's not for everyone. You pointed out what people didn't like about and what they liked about it but in the end, it's not for everyone. That's how it is man: Skyrim's just like that. It's the world, not the story that matters. The Witcher is more or less about the man, not the world. Then again, The Witcher 3 will show us the world matters too. Anyway, Skyrim is what it will always be: the theme park.

Skyrim's not for everyone. You pointed out what people didn't like about and what they liked about it but in the end, it's not for everyone. That's how it is man: Skyrim's just like that. It's the world, not the story that matters. The Witcher is more or less about the man, not the world. Then again, The Witcher 3 will show us the world matters too. Anyway, Skyrim is what it will always be: the theme park.

THIS. That's how it is man: some games just aren't for everyone. You can't expect that one game should be like this and that. It was made to be that way, so you'll have to play it that way. Case closed.

Yes, perfect analogy. Skyrim is definitely a theme park but if you're into it it can be the damn best theme park in the whole world. If you don't, then it is the most boring video game ever. Fortunately, I loved it and invested a lot of hours in it, first for the X360 and later for the PC. Modding gives is an awesome second wind.

Most of the good games get flak for things that seem very weird to me. It's a game people and it's not perfect. Sure it's good to criticize the makers so they can it better next time but some of the flak are outrageous. You can't expect them to not get flak though because all of the popular games are bound to get something people will complain about.

Yes, perfect analogy. Skyrim is definitely a theme park but if you're into it it can be the damn best theme park in the whole world. If you don't, then it is the most boring video game ever. Fortunately, I loved it and invested a lot of hours in it, first for the X360 and later for the PC. Modding gives is an awesome second wind.

Gotta agree. It's also the same case for games like Katamari Damacy. It's a game about rolling on stuff. And that's about it. Some people will flak it for its horrible graphics, weird story, nonsensical nonsense and more. But it was made that way. so whatever, it was made that way. Same with Goat Simulator. So yes, Skyrim was made to be a game about the world so let it be. And yes, modding is awesome. Seriously, who doesn't like playing as Spider-Man? Hahaha XD Yup, you can play as Spider-Man in Skyrim.

Gotta agree. It's also the same case for games like Katamari Damacy. It's a game about rolling on stuff. And that's about it. Some people will flak it for its horrible graphics, weird story, nonsensical nonsense and more. But it was made that way. so whatever, it was made that way. Same with Goat Simulator. So yes, Skyrim was made to be a game about the world so let it be. And yes, modding is awesome. Seriously, who doesn't like playing as Spider-Man? Hahaha XD Yup, you can play as Spider-Man in Skyrim.

Well I have to agree but the thing is wouldn't it hurt the game because of the spiderman theme. Well where will he do his web slinging?

Most of the good games get flak for things that seem very weird to me. It's a game people and it's not perfect. Sure it's good to criticize the makers so they can it better next time but some of the flak are outrageous. You can't expect them to not get flak though because all of the popular games are bound to get something people will complain about.

Exactly. You can't please everyone. Somebody wants this, somebody wants that... there's no such thing as the perfect game. All the games will have something that will make people flak on them.

Exactly. You can't please everyone. Somebody wants this, somebody wants that... there's no such thing as the perfect game. All the games will have something that will make people flak on them.

That's why it's better to see the game first hand. :)

Well I have to agree but the thing is wouldn't it hurt the game because of the spiderman theme. Well where will he do his web slinging?

Uhm, as far as I remember, there was no web-slinging. You just wear a costume of Spider-Man XD hahahahaha No, no web slinging. Or maybe there is? I don't how far the modding in Skyrim goes.

Haha. Dude. If there was web slinging added to the game man after modding it then I would definitely mod mine into Iron Man. So he can fly and shoot stuff.

Haha. Dude. If there was web slinging added to the game man after modding it then I would definitely mod mine into Iron Man. So he can fly and shoot stuff.

Haha. I'll go for Hulk that way he'll be unstoppable.

Iron Man? Hehehehehe. Check this out my man:
[video=youtube;vXKZo9uWCMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKZo9uWCMM[/video]

Haha. I'll go for Hulk that way he'll be unstoppable.

I didn't leave you out as well my friend:

[video=youtube;3WhPFFe2bs0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhPFFe2bs0[/video]

GTA IV has crazy mods, but these are just starters. Just imagine if Skyrim HAD these. Hahaha XD

Iron Man? Hehehehehe. Check this out my man:
[video=youtube;vXKZo9uWCMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKZo9uWCMM[/video]

I didn't leave you out as well my friend:

[video=youtube;3WhPFFe2bs0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhPFFe2bs0[/video]

GTA IV has crazy mods, but these are just starters. Just imagine if Skyrim HAD these. Hahaha XD

That's really cool man. If only Skyrim had these man. I would really play this.

Wow, you actually posted them eh? Yeah awesome mods. I think it's possible. Let's see who's more than capable to make mods like in Skyrim.

EDIT: Well, someone made their own on Skyrim!

[video=youtube;gL12OjB7Ikk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL12OjB7Ikk[/video]

Wow, you actually posted them eh? Yeah awesome mods. I think it's possible. Let's see who's more than capable to make mods like in Skyrim.

EDIT: Well, someone made their own on Skyrim!

[video=youtube;gL12OjB7Ikk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL12OjB7Ikk[/video]

You just had to, didn't you? HAHAHAH. No worries man. Damn, this mod looks AWESOME. Tony Stark is trapped in the world of Skyrim. Catch him in:

THE AVENGERS: QUEST FOR THE ELDER SCROLLS

Back