Xbox One Call of Duty: Ghosts creators explain why resolution is lower on Xbox One

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
I know there has been a lot of questions, speculation, irritation, etc. in regards to COD: Ghosts running at a higher resolution on the PS4 versus the Xbox One. This has created a lot of XB1 haters, touting that the PS4 is the far superior console. As far as the specs go, it sounds like it is a faster running console...and I'm fine with that. I personally am fine with the XB1 running at a little bit lower resolution. Yes, it would be great if it were running the game at a higher resolution, but in the end, I'm an Xbox gamer because of the system as a whole and what Microsoft has created through the Xbox line. In all reality though, I'll probably end up owning both systems down the road.

The makers of Ghosts stated the following:

Today, the people who make Call of Duty have an official explanation, and it ain't great news for Microsoft. Speaking to Eurogamer, Infinity Ward boss Mark Rubin put it quite candidly: on the Xbox One, they had to sacrifice resolution to get the game running at the 60 frames-per-second they wanted.

"It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p [resolution]. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native," Rubin said. "It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighborhood we wanted it to be. And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time. That's the thing you get pretty quickly and that doesn't change dramatically.

What do you guys think? Obviously if you're reading this, your an Xbox fan. Is the lower resolution going to keep you from getting an XB1 and sway you towards getting a new PS4 at launch?

Source: Kotaku

Not at all. As I stated in another post, I think both the PS4 and XB1 game looks equally great! Is there a slight difference in graphics? Yes. But, is it night/day difference? No.

I'm good and still waiting for my system on 11/22!

J

Not a game breaker for me. Just means the hardware may be complex and the devs need some time to get familiar to it.

So he says that the hardware is weak and couldn't maintain 60fps at 1080p unlike the ps4 . Extremely disappointing though I don't really care for cod .

So he says that the hardware is weak and couldn't maintain 60fps at 1080p unlike the ps4 . Extremely disappointing though I don't really care for cod .

He said thos eexact words? Or are you just guessing?

I am not disappointed at all. Resolution IMO does not make or break a game, the gameplay does. I bet none of us would have even noticed if not for seeing this. If it was native 1080p and lagged or clunky, that would be worse.

So why not just stick with 360 then ?

The Kinect and controlability that it offers with games, TV, etc... Some people criticize being forced to pay for it and
about it, but it is a BIG part of why I wanted the Xbox One. Having the Kinect with every Xbox One will also make
more developers make things for it.

Snap windows. I really like the idea of being able to multitask like that.

Some of the games like Ryse, Titanfall and others look amazing and fun. I have been wanting more than the 360 offers for a while now.

How it is tied into the NFL and exercise exclusives like P90, Extreme, Jillian Michaels and others and how it works with
the Kinect.

I needed a bluray player and Skype camera as mine died so buying the One saved me $.

Are you blind ?

Please show me the quote where he said word for word...those exact words you said which was

"So he says that the hardware is weak and couldn't maintain 60fps at 1080p unlike the ps4"

Thank You

I know there has been a lot of questions, speculation, irritation, etc. in regards to COD: Ghosts running at a higher resolution on the PS4 versus the Xbox One. This has created a lot of XB1 haters, touting that the PS4 is the far superior console. As far as the specs go, it sounds like it is a faster running console...and I'm fine with that. I personally am fine with the XB1 running at a little bit lower resolution. Yes, it would be great if it were running the game at a higher resolution, but in the end, I'm an Xbox gamer because of the system as a whole and what Microsoft has created through the Xbox line. In all reality though, I'll probably end up owning both systems down the road.

The makers of Ghosts stated the following:

[/CENTER]

What do you guys think? Obviously if you're reading this, your an Xbox fan. Is the lower resolution going to keep you from getting an XB1 and sway you towards getting a new PS4 at launch?

Source: Kotaku

There are a lot of factors that come into play here that the COD devs don't have the time to explain in short. COD is a multiplatform game (which we all know), however, porting these games from one console to another causes issues specific to each consoles hardware design, especially re-tweaking, new texture building, and of course resolution. I read another article that stated that the game devs didn't get enough time to familiarize themselves with the X1 hardware after the CPU & GPU upgrades just done recently. The X1 is more than capable of pushing 1080p 60fps. Heck the damn thing is build for 4K?? Think about it.. and if you give it some time, you'll see how things will change. Don't be surprised to see an update with 1440p several years from now on these consoles.

IMO: I think COD was a rushed title, I mean the Single Player is only 4 hours long. I think they put a bit more time into Multiplayer, but yet again from the screenshots I've seen it's nothing jaw dropping, and it did receive the lowest rating ever.. 6.5 score from polygon! That alone, I couldn't care if COD was lower then 360p on X1. So all this HYPE on one game is getting a little bit to much. Need for Speed was announced today at 1080p 30fps on both X1 & PS4, so it's really up to the game devs.

That is NOT what he said at all, in anyway you want to twist the wording around, he never ever said that.

"A lower resolution generally means that there can be more quality per pixel. With a high quality scaler and anti-aliasing and render resolutions such as 720p or '900p', some games look better with more GPU processing going to each pixel than to the number of pixels; others look better at 1080p with less GPU processing per pixel." http://www.oxm.co.uk/63388/why...

COD was optimized to look amazing on X1. 1080p is not all what it's cracked up to be if it's not optimized correctly.

That is NOT what he said at all, in anyway you want to twist the wording around, he never ever said that.

"A lower resolution generally means that there can be more quality per pixel. With a high quality scaler and anti-aliasing and render resolutions such as 720p or '900p', some games look better with more GPU processing going to each pixel than to the number of pixels; others look better at 1080p with less GPU processing per pixel." http://www.oxm.co.uk/63388/why...

COD was optimized to look amazing on X1. 1080p is not all what it's cracked up to be if it's not optimized correctly.

lol I was waiting for him to respond because I knew he was jsut trolling lol

lol I was waiting for him to respond because I knew he was jsut trolling lol

Trolling on this site would be like Kratos attempting to break into Master Chiefs military base. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Trolling on this site would be like Kratos attempting to break into Master Chiefs military base. NOT A GOOD IDEA!

jack_lol.gif

I'd rather have a game that runs smoothly than one that looks pretty. My computer would probably explode if I tried to run Skyrim at maximum, but it's still a fun game with the graphics turned down. I just saw a gameplay comparison yesterday and it doesn't look all that different between the PS4 and the Xbox One.

I'd rather have a game that runs smoothly than one that looks pretty. My computer would probably explode if I tried to run Skyrim at maximum, but it's still a fun game with the graphics turned down. I just saw a gameplay comparison yesterday and it doesn't look all that different between the PS4 and the Xbox One.

They wont unless you put a magnaflying glass and watch every pixel lol

I like for a game to have fantastic graphics, but I'm moreso into the game play. I've played GREAT looking games in the past, only to have them suffer at the hands of frame rate and lackluster gameplay.

J

And it appears it isn't. Multiple outlets are reporting frame rate problems in the PS4 version in both SP and MP.

So it will be interesting if the same issue is going to happen to the XB1 version at 720p.

And it appears it isn't. Multiple outlets are reporting frame rate problems in the PS4 version in both SP and MP.

So it will be interesting if the same issue is going to happen to the XB1 version at 720p.

Yes you are correct, PS4 is having trouble with Frame Rate, and it would have been smart if they decided to just keep both games at 720p 60fps on both consoles. Instead they had to listen to Sony's demands. Here is the Link to what your talking about http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...ate-problems-with-call-of-duty-ghosts-on-ps4/

Back