Xbox One Microsoft has No Regrets About Their 180

Like some people have stated on here. Hardcore gamers or what they are called are used to having what they want. They are used to being able to dot he same thing over and over since it has been that was since the beginning. But they are also scared of change. When they did the 180 my wife and I were very upset. We too wanted this all digital future that WAS going to be something unique. As our part we are buying Digital Games all this gen. Hopefully at least hey will bring that family feature back for DD games only.

Just the Cheetos eating stereotype of gamers would make me reluctant to ever lend out a game, I don't want my discs and boxes all jacked up.

To be honest, I'm kind of shocked that people go to each others' homes to play games anymore. Other than the sports games, I don't really see how that is possible without setting up two TVs and consoles. Isn't that why everyone is crying about the need for split screen?

Just the Cheetos eating stereotype of gamers would make me reluctant to ever lend out a game, I don't want my discs and boxes all jacked up.

To be honest, I'm kind of shocked that people go to each others' homes to play games anymore. Other than the sports games, I don't really see how that is possible without setting up two TVs and consoles. Isn't that why everyone is crying about the need for split screen?

I only play with friends over on Sundays during football season. We usually play between games abnd ofcourse all we play is either Madden or NCAA (on occasion Fifa, 2k, and NHL get thrown in the disc tray), so I agree with you 100%

I was in a weird way saddened by it too. I know it seemed like a lot of terrible features, but people are often just afraid of change, myself included. Now it almost feels like just getting a slightly updated version of the 360. That being said, I'm sure most people have great internet, but my internet is horrifyingly bad sometimes which is why I feel technology maybe just isn't ready yet for a completely digital world.

The gaming community simply wasn't ready for the policies being implemented originally. This paired with Playstation calling out Microsoft for untrue claims such as "the console NEEDS to be always on to work" made a lot of consumers mad. I think Microsoft can be greedy at times but genuinely do have a method to their madness. I think the wise thing to do is to ease the community into the future. The xbox One scared alot of people away. If they were subtle about things it would have been a grand success.

I cant tell you the last time for me either!! lol! Usually when buddies come over we just hand over the controller lol. But I have crazy OCD so I don't let anyone borrow my games lol. Unless its only for a day lol

They have shareholders to answer to unlike companies like Valve. Do you think that they would say something like sorry or anything else. They are not going to acknowledge their mistakes in the open.

I cant tell you the last time for me either!! lol! Usually when buddies come over we just hand over the controller lol. But I have crazy OCD so I don't let anyone borrow my games lol. Unless its only for a day lol

My son and I split screen game all the time. We also share games back and forth. We were also the target audience for Family sharing... One game two run licenses...

I still think most of the outrage was caused by console counters, because getting two run licenses with every game would cause people like me to buy 2 x1's rather than just one.

I'm sure there are some regrets - but not over the "future of gaming". If it worked it would have meant mad money, and if they could get Sony/Nintendo to sign on then it would mean all the monies because if it's all digital - they own the market. No GameStop, no Wal-Mart, no eBay, no Amazon, forget about Cyber Monday - only an unregulated experiment to see just how much the market will bear. Eh... the dystopian future of gaming can stay where it's at.

I was in a weird way saddened by it too. I know it seemed like a lot of terrible features, but people are often just afraid of change, myself included. Now it almost feels like just getting a slightly updated version of the 360. That being said, I'm sure most people have great internet, but my internet is horrifyingly bad sometimes which is why I feel technology maybe just isn't ready yet for a completely digital world.

But, this sentiment is what I also don't get. Most of the people that claim their internet is so awful, are on the internet! They play multiplayer games, they download DLC, but suddenly a check in was going to break their pipeline?

Come on.

If your service (not you, the gamer in the sticks, where the internet goes through tin cans or something) is that shockingly bad, then the benefits of the 360 or PS3 were also limited and you know how to navigate all of the online services that you want to attempt, so the One would have just fallen under those same guidelines in your home.

I'm sure there are some regrets - but not over the "future of gaming". If it worked it would have meant mad money, and if they could get Sony/Nintendo to sign on then it would mean all the monies because if it's all digital - they own the market. No GameStop, no Wal-Mart, no eBay, no Amazon, forget about Cyber Monday - only an unregulated experiment to see just how much the market will bear. Eh... the dystopian future of gaming can stay where it's at.

Publishers set the price, not retailers. Why do you think every new release costs exactly the same at every retail store? Sure, you get a sale here and there, but mostly the price is already set.

The company that is costing you money is Gamestop. They are the ones selling used games for $55 US, $5 off the full retail new price.

Publishers set the price, not retailers. Why do you think every new release costs exactly the same at every retail store? Sure, you get a sale here and there, but mostly the price is already set.

The company that is costing you money is Gamestop. They are the ones selling used games for $55 US, $5 off the full retail new price.

THIS! I don't know why people thought that it was MSFT and or any other company. GameStop are the ones that will cost you money. Also everything, the price, trade in, was going to be set by the publishers..NOT MSFT. People keep on forgetting that or were just skipping it. MSFT even stated that they had NOTHING to do with the pricing of the used games and was NOT getting ANY money from it. It was 100% UP TO the publishers on any fee that was associated with the game new or used, or trade in, or whatever.

Well in the current model, game publishers will just sell their games download exclusive for like 2 months before they release the physical copy. That way the market that would pick up the $55 used copy will just download instead, and the publisher can make their development money back on the people who dont mind paying full price. Im sure there will also be lots of price manipulation as well. Like as soon as the physical copy ships the download edition, drops $20 in price.

In either case, Gamestop and the lucrative used game market is coming to an end, which is what it was all about in the first place.

THIS! I don't know why people thought that it was MSFT and or any other company. GameStop are the ones that will cost you money. Also everything, the price, trade in, was going to be set by the publishers..NOT MSFT. People keep on forgetting that or were just skipping it. MSFT even stated that they had NOTHING to do with the pricing of the used games and was NOT getting ANY money from it. It was 100% UP TO the publishers on any fee that was associated with the game new or used, or trade in, or whatever.

Because if there is a publisher of five of your favorite games, you don't want to be mad at them, you go and find someone else to be mad at like, I don't know, Microsoft. :D

All this "Microsoft is too greedy to have a decent used digital store" is ridiculous. Microsoft couldn't care less about those prices, they care about LIVE, which you will need to buy anything from the digital store. That's their money and pleasure, everything else is just them playing facilitator.

Really? It's that shocking that a large demographic of people would prefer gaming in the physical company of friends/family? How do you think the Wii was so successful? And really, just because you aren't in the sector of people that shares games doesn't mean that pointless restrictions should be welcomed by the user base at large.

What part of "I'm shocked" and then the question of "how" escaped you when responding to that quote?

The Wii is popular because it is considered a family console. Do people go over to other people's homes? Sure, but we really aren't discussing casual gamers, we are for the most part, discussing so called core gamers.

I don't believe there is a large segment of CoD players sitting on each others' couches day in and day out unless there is some kind of tutoring. The games that would be most associated with people coming over and playing with each other would be sports games or the Kinect/Wii activity games.

Are you now going to give more credence to them as a valuable commodity in the gaming community to hold onto your point? Because normally, they are dismissed and blamed for the destruction of the industry.

Really? It's that shocking that a large demographic of people would prefer gaming in the physical company of friends/family? How do you think the Wii was so successful? And really, just because you aren't in the sector of people that shares games doesn't mean that pointless restrictions should be welcomed by the user base at large.

I always thought the wii was so successful because grandparents, and parents who thought the idea of motion gaming was a great alternative to their kids sitting around on the couch and barely moving while they gamed. Also the Wii was the console that parents got their kids, because the content was all family friendly.

One of the reasons I was so shocked that Sony decided to lead off with a Killzone game... I figure here in the US Microsoft will advertise with their family friendly stuff, and keep the marketing for the MA rated games out of main stream marketing.

But Sony sure is winning the contest to drive away the family friendly market. Violent games with lots of gratuitous cussing and swearing in them, are sure to turn off this demographic.

I know as a parent, who has been a sailor, truck driver, and construction worker my entire life, Kill Zone cut scenes make me blush.

Microsoft shouldn't feel bad. I was perfectly happy with the original policies. We are suppose to be heading into the future, and that is what MS was attempting to do by jumping the gun by 1 generation. People aren't open to the idea of an all digital age, especially in the gaming community because for the past 30 years it's been cartridge, and discs. People hate change, and people love familiarity. To me the DRM would have worked just like ITUNES. If I download a song, how in the world am I suppose to let you borrow it? That's where "Family Sharing" came to play. The only thing I blame MS for is their failure to put a solid team together to explain there new direction. I honestly believe it would have screwed Sony over big time.

But with all Honesty, I am seriously looking forward playing online next gen on the X1. Looks like PSN will be the land of 8 to 12 year olds begging their parents to buy the cheaper console. All the screaming and yelling all day, I will not miss it one bit.

I agree that 24/7 drm was a great idea. Consumers who were unhappy had a valid reason because MS never came out and explained what it actually was and the benefits. It can only improve the online gaming community and I'll bet we see it around or before the 360 is done.

Yeah, if they want to lose even more potential buyers than they already have, I'm sure they'll try to re-introduce DRM policies.

I'm going to explain to you guys the issue people took with the DRM because, well, apparently a lot of you don't get it.

Requiring a console to always be online to play games, and at a 500 dollar price point, there is literally no reason to buy a console anymore. If they're imposing DRM, you may as well just get a gaming PC and use Steam, because it's a hell of a lot less restrictive, and for 500 dollars you can get a pretty decent gaming PC. Additionally, there are people who have shoddy internet connections, and as such, would be unable to play their console sometimes due to internet outages. Same with people on the East Coast, since they get storms pretty frequently, there would be times when their console would be little more than a paper weight simply due to an internet outage.

DRM does have benefits, sure, but PC has been doing it for longer, and I assure you, Steam does it better. If you want DRM so bad, go play on PC. I'll take my DRM-free console any day of the week, when I can actually do whatever I want with my games.

Yeah, if they want to lose even more potential buyers than they already have, I'm sure they'll try to re-introduce DRM policies.

I'm going to explain to you guys the issue people took with the DRM because, well, apparently a lot of you don't get it.

Requiring a console to always be online to play games, and at a 500 dollar price point, there is literally no reason to buy a console anymore. If they're imposing DRM, you may as well just get a gaming PC and use Steam, because it's a hell of a lot less restrictive, and for 500 dollars you can get a pretty decent gaming PC. Additionally, there are people who have shoddy internet connections, and as such, would be unable to play their console sometimes due to internet outages. Same with people on the East Coast, since they get storms pretty frequently, there would be times when their console would be little more than a paper weight simply due to an internet outage.

DRM does have benefits, sure, but PC has been doing it for longer, and I assure you, Steam does it better. If you want DRM so bad, go play on PC. I'll take my DRM-free console any day of the week, when I can actually do whatever I want with my games.

What needs to happen is the perfect partnership integration between how MS or SONY will create DRM for the next generation consoles. This generation was NOT it, and apparently it wasn't going to happen. PC has theirs, but a lot of people don't like PC, and prefer console. I have strictly PC gamer friends, and they tell me the only thing they find inconvenient about being a PC gamer is how you need to Install, and uninstall games. Every system has there ups and downs in the gaming community, and how you want to game is all about personal preference. But other than that, I believe MS is going to implement a plan for the Digital, and Hard Copy gaming for the future. This will make all parties happy.

Back