Xbox One Microsoft has No Regrets About Their 180

I always thought the wii was so successful because grandparents, and parents who thought the idea of motion gaming was a great alternative to their kids sitting around on the couch and barely moving while they gamed. Also the Wii was the console that parents got their kids, because the content was all family friendly.
Well, I guess a broader statement to encompass the Wii's success would entail both of our reasons. Something along the lines of, they heavily pushed the advent of movement and party-based gaming (think New Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports, games I almost never played by myself). It's a console that did the best it could to favor human interaction, after all, Wii being a homophone of "we" was the result of meticulous planning to advertise this fact. That was a great appeal to parents who clung to the stigma that their children would be holed up in the basement until they were pale in the face had they invested in another console.

What needs to happen is the perfect partnership integration between how MS or SONY will create DRM for the next generation consoles. This generation was NOT it, and apparently it wasn't going to happen. PC has theirs, but a lot of people don't like PC, and prefer console. I have strictly PC gamer friends, and they tell me the only thing they find inconvenient about being a PC gamer is how you need to Install, and uninstall games. Every system has there ups and downs in the gaming community, and how you want to game is all about personal preference. But other than that, I believe MS is going to implement a plan for the Digital, and Hard Copy gaming for the future. This will make all parties happy.

According to the rumors before E3, Sony and Microsoft did come up with an agreement, Sony backed out. Every thing being said about the consoles where that they were very similar in how they would be handling this generation, then Sony did the first 180 and left Microsoft holding the bag.

According to the rumors before E3, Sony and Microsoft did come up with an agreement, Sony backed out. Every thing being said about the consoles where that they were very similar in how they would be handling this generation, then Sony did the first 180 and left Microsoft holding the bag.

Oh don't get me wrong because your 100% correct. This I knew and I even posted the links in the X1 vs PS4 thread.

THIS! I don't know why people thought that it was MSFT and or any other company. GameStop are the ones that will cost you money. Also everything, the price, trade in, was going to be set by the publishers..NOT MSFT. People keep on forgetting that or were just skipping it. MSFT even stated that they had NOTHING to do with the pricing of the used games and was NOT getting ANY money from it. It was 100% UP TO the publishers on any fee that was associated with the game new or used, or trade in, or whatever.

And they said it right in that FAQ they had during E3 about the policies. Microsoft would get no money at all for 3rd party trade-in pricing.

It was all part of Sony's effective "Microsoft doesn't want used games" meme that the internet gobbled up like it was truth.

No regrets about their 180, but what about their 360?

No, seriously now, good for them, i guess. It's not something to be proud of, but if they manage to make the best out of the console, even better.

Yeah, if they want to lose even more potential buyers than they already have, I'm sure they'll try to re-introduce DRM policies.

I'm going to explain to you guys the issue people took with the DRM because, well, apparently a lot of you don't get it.

Requiring a console to always be online to play games, and at a 500 dollar price point, there is literally no reason to buy a console anymore. If they're imposing DRM, you may as well just get a gaming PC and use Steam, because it's a hell of a lot less restrictive, and for 500 dollars you can get a pretty decent gaming PC. Additionally, there are people who have shoddy internet connections, and as such, would be unable to play their console sometimes due to internet outages. Same with people on the East Coast, since they get storms pretty frequently, there would be times when their console would be little more than a paper weight simply due to an internet outage.

DRM does have benefits, sure, but PC has been doing it for longer, and I assure you, Steam does it better. If you want DRM so bad, go play on PC. I'll take my DRM-free console any day of the week, when I can actually do whatever I want with my games.

Really?? Thats how you explain it to "people who don't get it"? A shoddy connection and an occasional storm. If your connection goes out after every liitle storm..I would be looking for a new provider. If it's a bigger storm and power is lost,I really don't think I would be worried about gaming .I don't want a PC to game on. I like consoles. Hence, it comes down to preference.

Really?? Thats how you explain it to "people who don't get it"? A shoddy connection and an occasional storm. If your connection goes out after every liitle storm..I would be looking for a new provider. If it's a bigger storm and power is lost,I really don't think I would be worried about gaming .I don't want a PC to game on. I like consoles. Hence, it comes down to preference.

You are correct. But again like I told Reptar...he doesn't have the console and doesn't even know how well it would of worked. And I agree, if there is a HUGE enough storm to knock out your internet for more the 24 HOURS..then you have bigger problems to handle. And even if people had not so good internet....its not like you NEEDED it to play single player. It was a 5 sec. ping and THAT WAS IT! Was announced it wasn't even bigger than a MB ping. Hopefully one day they will release a BETA for people who want it or something like that. Kinda like a sign up sheet. FIRST SIGNER HERE!!!! lol

Yeah, if they want to lose even more potential buyers than they already have, I'm sure they'll try to re-introduce DRM policies.

I'm going to explain to you guys the issue people took with the DRM because, well, apparently a lot of you don't get it.

Requiring a console to always be online to play games, and at a 500 dollar price point, there is literally no reason to buy a console anymore. If they're imposing DRM, you may as well just get a gaming PC and use Steam, because it's a hell of a lot less restrictive, and for 500 dollars you can get a pretty decent gaming PC. Additionally, there are people who have shoddy internet connections, and as such, would be unable to play their console sometimes due to internet outages. Same with people on the East Coast, since they get storms pretty frequently, there would be times when their console would be little more than a paper weight simply due to an internet outage.

DRM does have benefits, sure, but PC has been doing it for longer, and I assure you, Steam does it better. If you want DRM so bad, go play on PC. I'll take my DRM-free console any day of the week, when I can actually do whatever I want with my games.

I'm in the east coast (NJ-NYC) area and have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't even lose power for hurricane sandy (thank god) $500 is not a lot of money, but for that price I expect the XB1 to be more than an upgraded 360, which now it isn't because of narrow-minded gamers. The difference between a PC and a DRM console is that games are going to be created directly for the architecture of your console so that you don't have to keep upgrading parts, unlike a gaming PC that will turn out costing a lot more. You failed to explain the issues with DRM, you only explained your personal preference on the subject. Factually DRM opens more doors than it closes.

I'm in the east coast (NJ-NYC) area and have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't even lose power for hurricane sandy (thank god) $500 is not a lot of money, but for that price I expect the XB1 to be more than an upgraded 360, which now it isn't because of narrow-minded gamers. The difference between a PC and a DRM console is that games are going to be created directly for the architecture of your console so that you don't have to keep upgrading parts, unlike a gaming PC that will turn out costing a lot more. You failed to explain the issues with DRM, you only explained your personal preference on the subject. Factually DRM opens more doors than it closes.

Exactly. Same here, on the east coast. Here is the thing, even if it did, you had 24 hours in time. It wasnt like a clock went GO! lets say you played from 12:01 to 2...then you have 22 hours left...even if your not playing. Some people thought it was like a countdown..NO! lol. And yes about the PC. You cant get ALOT of the games on PC and a PC will FOR SURE coast you ALOT more money than an X1.

Which is why the XB1 was never going to require "always online" connections.

This "myth" is a big part of the problem. If your internet went down for an hour, you were still going to be able to keep playing your games for a reasonable amount of time. PC games are the ones going always online (Diablo 3, Sim City, etc).

That's not to say that it would never have been a problem for anyone, but most people under normal circumstances would have been functional most of the time. Plus, we would have gained the ability to share games online. Sure, when you moved or something you might not be able to play if it took more than a day to get your internet hooked up, but really it wasn't some oppressive system being put in place.

You would have been even able to check in by simply tethering the console to a smart phone's connection (not everyone has this ability of course, but that's how simple it was going to be).

Which is why the XB1 was never going to require "always online" connections.

This "myth" is a big part of the problem. If your internet went down for an hour, you were still going to be able to keep playing your games for a reasonable amount of time. PC games are the ones going always online (Diablo 3, Sim City, etc).

That's not to say that it would never have been a problem for anyone, but most people under normal circumstances would have been functional most of the time. Plus, we would have gained the ability to share games online. Sure, when you moved or something you might not be able to play if it took more than a day to get your internet hooked up, but really it wasn't some oppressive system being put in place.

You would have been even able to check in by simply tethering the console to a smart phone's connection (not everyone has this ability of course, but that's how simple it was going to be).

well said mate....well said. It was this crazy "myth" that no one really looked into. BUT MSFT should have been a little better on their PR part.

well said mate....well said. It was this crazy "myth" that no one really looked into. BUT MSFT should have been a little better on their PR part.

Microsoft could have been better with a lot of things concerning the PR part. It is almost as if they allowed SONY to walk all over them. Are you seeing what's floating around the internet now?

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...han-xbox-one-claim-high-level-developers.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ers-Say-Memory-Is-Faster-on-PS4-Than-Xbox-One

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

These articles are really pissing me off because it's misguiding to the untrained eye. With both Consoles at 8MB, Sony having GDDR5 & X1 DDR3, the devs are completely misguiding the gaming community when they say the PS4 is 50% faster by not translating what that means in "seconds". What exactly is 50% faster in seconds? Are we talking about 0.5 sec? 1.0 sec? or 2.0 sec faster?

What I don't get is how come different devs can't all agree on one thing? Some devs have stated different according to the article.. So is this Sony pushing one of "their" devs to create a mass pro PR for them? I don't know.

Microsoft could have been better with a lot of things concerning the PR part. It is almost as if they allowed SONY to walk all over them. Are you seeing what's floating around the internet now?

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...han-xbox-one-claim-high-level-developers.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ers-Say-Memory-Is-Faster-on-PS4-Than-Xbox-One

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

These articles are really pissing me off because it's misguiding to the untrained eye. With both Consoles at 8MB, Sony having GDDR5 & X1 DDR3, the devs are completely misguiding the gaming community when they say the PS4 is 50% faster by not translating what that means in "seconds". What exactly is 50% faster in seconds? Are we talking about 0.5 sec? 1.0 sec? or 2.0 sec faster?

What I don't get is how come different devs can't all agree on one thing? Some devs have stated different according to the article.. So is this Sony pushing one of "their" devs to create a mass pro PR for them? I don't know.

If I remember correctly, out of that 8g only 3.5g is for games(Sony). But here is the thing. To an average gamer (myself) all of this is Greek to me. I still put in about 30hrs a week on the 360 but I guess I am an untrained eye in a sense. At the end of the day, I think that most gamers chose a console from personal preference. At one time I had both the 360 and a PS3. We would play Socom and use the 360 party chat feature. I think we had the PS3 for less than a month. I guess what I am trying to get at is preference for most gamers. I have been on XBL for almost 7 years now and it is very familiar. But, don't get me wrong, since being on this site, I have learned what DRM is, all of the technical mumbo jumbo.

Except I wouldn't really qualify what Sony did as a '180'. They simply decided not to do it, before the console was even announced. If you think making a design decision before the console is even a thing is a '180', you must really think industry in general is full of flip-floppers.

Hey, sometimes up here in Washington, we get some pretty bad storms! Sometimes my internet goes out, but that's it! My power still works! I also can't just switch providers because, well, I only have one provider out here! Wow! Gee! How weird that sometimes people are more inconvenienced by having to be online all the time than you think!

Hey, sometimes up here in Washington, we get some pretty bad storms! Sometimes my internet goes out, but that's it! My power still works! I also can't just switch providers because, well, I only have one provider out here! Wow! Gee! How weird that sometimes people are more inconvenienced by having to be online all the time than you think!

Well, that stinks that you only have one provider. In your post you said you were going to speak for the people who did not want always on-line DRM. Respectfully, I only read what your personal gripes are. Cheers.

Is your cell phone capable of being a hot spot?

I think if they regretted it or showed they did it would seem weak, and that's the LAST thing they need to do coming up to launch day.

all i can say is microsoft has already said they did the 180 because of the gaming community and all the crap that hit the fan when it was all announced way back when. they have stated they thought the community was further along than it is where the numbers of online players made sense to go that route. but they gave us what we wanted not how we already play.

when your power is out at your house your not online or watching tv or on the internet. its just a simple fact and it happens to everyone. but as soon as power is on and the network is up so would the xbox doing its check or whatever.

instead of thinking like a single consumer(yourself) think of all the data microsoft has.. every 360 to leave production would give feedback to microsoft once it went online. and if it never went online microsoft knows that as well. they have the data from how many xblive members their are how many hours each console is online and what they are doing netflix,gaming,ect ect. they know how every unit is used.. think of microsoft as god.... they know all you do when u do it and how many times you do it. do you really think they came up with the 24hr and check out of blue sky??? they have raw data avalaible that said it made sense to go that route.
heck they even know how you are hooked up via hotspot or wireless/wired..

if the numbers were below 95% i dont think microsoft would have gone that route. the sales/logic of giving away 5% of profits wouldn't happen. microsoft is a multi billion dollar company they look at the data and numbers to make decisions it not some random idea. even if you are not playing multiplayer your still connected

all i can say is microsoft has already said they did the 180 because of the gaming community and all the crap that hit the fan when it was all announced way back when. they have stated they thought the community was further along than it is where the numbers of online players made sense to go that route. but they gave us what we wanted not how we already play.

when your power is out at your house your not online or watching tv or on the internet. its just a simple fact and it happens to everyone. but as soon as power is on and the network is up so would the xbox doing its check or whatever.

instead of thinking like a single consumer(yourself) think of all the data microsoft has.. every 360 to leave production would give feedback to microsoft once it went online. and if it never went online microsoft knows that as well. they have the data from how many xblive members their are how many hours each console is online and what they are doing netflix,gaming,ect ect. they know how every unit is used.. think of microsoft as god.... they know all you do when u do it and how many times you do it. do you really think they came up with the 24hr and check out of blue sky??? they have raw data avalaible that said it made sense to go that route.
heck they even know how you are hooked up via hotspot or wireless/wired..

if the numbers were below 95% i dont think microsoft would have gone that route. the sales/logic of giving away 5% of profits wouldn't happen. microsoft is a multi billion dollar company they look at the data and numbers to make decisions it not some random idea. even if you are not playing multiplayer your still connected

Uh, clearly they didn't run the numbers, because a lot of people thought the approach they were going on was dumb. Hence why they changed it. I think they've certainly lost more than 5% of their potential profit, at this point, judging from the backlash they got over the DRM and then the 180.

Back