Xbox One Microsoft has No Regrets About Their 180

Uh, clearly they didn't run the numbers, because a lot of people thought the approach they were going on was dumb. Hence why they changed it. I think they've certainly lost more than 5% of their potential profit, at this point, judging from the backlash they got over the DRM and then the 180.

You cant even think that. If we are going that way, then I think Sony has lost 10% because of all these games they kept on talking about...and they have less exclusives than MSFT launching day 1. They always talked games games games and games.....where are the games? A year away? half a year? 2 years? From the number of forums that I went to a lot of polls that were set up had the question "Where u getting the X1 before the turn around? "And that number was ALWAYS higher. So what you and I say will always conflict on the people you know...and the people I know.

Uh, clearly they didn't run the numbers, because a lot of people thought the approach they were going on was dumb. Hence why they changed it. I think they've certainly lost more than 5% of their potential profit, at this point, judging from the backlash they got over the DRM and then the 180.

They did the numbers based on people logging hours online, they couldn't possible know the number of people that would have an issue since its the same overlapping group. People with perfect connections who are always online still had an issue with the DRM

Except I wouldn't really qualify what Sony did as a '180'. They simply decided not to do it, before the console was even announced. If you think making a design decision before the console is even a thing is a '180', you must really think industry in general is full of flip-floppers.

I consider something a flip flop when it only happens after a Twitter and online revolt. It wasn't until NEOGAF caught wind of their plans and started flipping out that Sony make even one statement about what they were going to do. Up until that point, they were going to do the same thing as Microsoft.

We still don't know what happened, but I strongly believe that Sony reversed their DRM policy sometime before E3. I have no facts to base this on, but look at what happened:

-MS was completely unprepared for the PR backlash against DRM. Why? Did they think people wouldn't mind, or did they expect Sony to do the same and make it a non-issue? I guess the latter.
-What did Sony have at E3 other than their little "how to lend a friend a game" dog and pony show?

We still don't know what happened, but I strongly believe that Sony reversed their DRM policy sometime before E3. I have no facts to base this on, but look at what happened:

-MS was completely unprepared for the PR backlash against DRM. Why? Did they think people wouldn't mind, or did they expect Sony to do the same and make it a non-issue? I guess the latter.
-What did Sony have at E3 other than their little "how to lend a friend a game" dog and pony show?

Uh, games, and pricing information, and social network stuff, and their stance on indie games. That's what else they had at E3.

It's probable that they shifted their DRM policy before E3, as evidence suggests, but who cares? A lot of things change before a console is released. They didn't try to force DRM on people. They considered it, sure, but in the end, for whatever reason, they decided against it. That's the big difference. Sony didn't even try to force DRM on people, whereas Microsoft did, and then tried to pretend there were totally innocent for doing it. Don't point any fingers at Sony. Microsoft made decisions, and they have to deal with their own actions. They have nobody to blame but themselves for the backlash.

Uh, games, and pricing information, and social network stuff, and their stance on indie games. That's what else they had at E3.

It's probable that they shifted their DRM policy before E3, as evidence suggests, but who cares? A lot of things change before a console is released. They didn't try to force DRM on people. They considered it, sure, but in the end, for whatever reason, they decided against it. That's the big difference. Sony didn't even try to force DRM on people, whereas Microsoft did, and then tried to pretend there were totally innocent for doing it. Don't point any fingers at Sony. Microsoft made decisions, and they have to deal with their own actions. They have nobody to blame but themselves for the backlash.

Stop believing Sony is so innocent. They reversed policies for the same reason as MS.

Nobody "won" over DRM, they just pushed it out to publishers. Sony forgot to mention that in their little show.

People want to blame everything on MS, yet they ignore the ones really behind all the DRM stuff.

It's good that they're not looking back. They were bringing these things about too abruptly, and it was going to change the gaming experience for some in ways that they weren't willing to compromise, myself included. I'm sure they can work out how to bring the tech to fruition while preserving the familiar setup, and then everyone wins.

Without reading the myriad of replies on this thread, I can tell you it has probably already been stated, but in the long run they made the right move by pulling a 180. Honestly they could not have hurt the brand any more than they did in the spring and beginning of summer this year. It was terrible and Microsoft was the laughing stock of the video game industry. However, making all of these 180's on every single policy they announced is easing up the tension. This however will not erase all of the damage done. The hardcore fans, hardcore gamers, know that microsoft is getting better with every 180, but the casual gamers do not. They will only remember how much of a joke Microsoft was back in May/June and think that the Xbone is the worst console out there. That stacked with the $100 extra pricetag will do nothing but hurt the OVERALL sales of the Xbox One. My prediction is the PS4 destroys the Xbox One in sales in the first year world wide and in the US, but the Xbox One will make up a lot of ground in the US after year one.

Without reading the myriad of replies on this thread, I can tell you it has probably already been stated, but in the long run they made the right move by pulling a 180. Honestly they could not have hurt the brand any more than they did in the spring and beginning of summer this year. It was terrible and Microsoft was the laughing stock of the video game industry. However, making all of these 180's on every single policy they announced is easing up the tension. This however will not erase all of the damage done. The hardcore fans, hardcore gamers, know that microsoft is getting better with every 180, but the casual gamers do not. They will only remember how much of a joke Microsoft was back in May/June and think that the Xbone is the worst console out there. That stacked with the $100 extra pricetag will do nothing but hurt the OVERALL sales of the Xbox One. My prediction is the PS4 destroys the Xbox One in sales in the first year world wide and in the US, but the Xbox One will make up a lot of ground in the US after year one.

After the consoles come out people will get a lot more familiar with the features, and enjoy what they personally like. I believe once the X1 gets released, it will be introduced to the "non gaming" community due to the features it provides. The PS4 will be loved by the gaming community, but the Xbox One will be loved by both the gaming community, and non gaming community.

After the consoles come out people will get a lot more familiar with the features, and enjoy what they personally like. I believe once the X1 gets released, it will be introduced to the "non gaming" community due to the features it provides. The PS4 will be loved by the gaming community, but the Xbox One will be loved by both the gaming community, and non gaming community.

I agree, but I think when they go to buy the consoles and see a big lack of exclusives at launch. It may turn their heads.

Ding, ding, ding!

Let's not forget that the Twitter revolt demanded responses from Sony, but they couldn't get one for days. They weren't talking to their fans, they were talking to Microsoft! If Sony had decided to go with their original DRM plans they would have really lost this battle because while both consoles would have had DRM, Microsoft had well thought out plans to make it worthwhile with their family sharing, installs and etc.

Sony HAD to become the anti-One because if they hadn't the $100 would've been extremely negligible since in order to make a full switch, you now have to pay to play online multiplayer.

Ding, ding, ding!

Let's not forget that the Twitter revolt demanded responses from Sony, but they couldn't get one for days. They weren't talking to their fans, they were talking to Microsoft! If Sony had decided to go with their original DRM plans they would have really lost this battle because while both consoles would have had DRM, Microsoft had well thought out plans to make it worthwhile with their family sharing, installs and etc.

Sony HAD to become the anti-One because if they hadn't the $100 would've been extremely negligible since in order to make a full switch, you now have to pay to play online multiplayer.

ALOT of people STILL dont know about that. The only time Sony has said ANYHTING about that was that 3 second ann. during that awful powerpoint during E3. I tell you this. There is nothing MORE annoying and upsetting then having an un-expected cost. I bet you more than half will buy a PS4 and lets say more than likely CoD or KillZone. So that $460 right there. Get home, all excited, set it up, put it in the game. Go to multiplayer...BAM! You will need to spend an EXTRA $50 to sign up for PSN plus to play multi. Seeing that message would piss me off so bad. So now u actually spent 510 bucks. See what I mean.

ALOT of people STILL dont know about that. The only time Sony has said ANYHTING about that was that 3 second ann. during that awful powerpoint during E3. I tell you this. There is nothing MORE annoying and upsetting then having an un-expected cost. I bet you more than half will buy a PS4 and lets say more than likely CoD or KillZone. So that $460 right there. Get home, all excited, set it up, put it in the game. Go to multiplayer...BAM! You will need to spend an EXTRA $50 to sign up for PSN plus to play multi. Seeing that message would piss me off so bad. So now u actually spent 510 bucks. See what I mean.

Agreed. I think other than the hardcore, many do not know about the change in online multiplayer. So maybe not the initial launch buyers, but many people will setup to play on XMAS day and be very disappointed. I can picture all the kids throwing a tantrum over this when their parents refuse to pay an additional fee on top of the console and games they just purchased.

Agreed. I think other than the hardcore, many do not know about the change in online multiplayer. So maybe not the initial launch buyers, but many people will setup to play on XMAS day and be very disappointed. I can picture all the kids throwing a tantrum over this when their parents refuse to pay an additional fee on top of the console and games they just purchased.

ANNNNNNND there you go. My parents for one wouldnt give in, if i was a youngin and they spent a crap load ont his stuff and then I come to them AGAIN asking for them to put in their CC info and pay 50...no no no way. Parents would probably be upset also.

ANNNNNNND there you go. My parents for one wouldnt give in, if i was a youngin and they spent a crap load ont his stuff and then I come to them AGAIN asking for them to put in their CC info and pay 50...no no no way. Parents would probably be upset also.

Absolutely, this will be a mess. Especially when they try to return the game because it "doesn't work" and are told they cannot or may only exchange. Not to mention if the PS4 game boxes are anything like the current 360 ones, they will have a very tiny, almost illegible warning stating PS+ required.

Just wait until publishers like EA, Activision and UBIsoft start making their games 100% always online. The "victory" against DRM will feel quite hollow and people will be begging for MS to put the original system back in place.

The mistake casual gamers make is assuming MS is the driving force behind DRM. They aren't. Game publishers are. Game publishers lose the most because of used games. MS loses a few game fees, but really how much of their revenue comes from that?

EA is the one who came up with online passes. Many games make you sign on to the publisher's 3rd party online service. When I go to play NHL 14 offline, I'm still forced to sign on to EA's servers.

That is what is so frustrating about the whole thing. People really don't understand the big picture. When publishers start requiring always online into their own servers for every game across both platforms, what are gamers going to do?

Just wait until publishers like EA, Activision and UBIsoft start making their games 100% always online. The "victory" against DRM will feel quite hollow and people will be begging for MS to put the original system back in place.

The mistake casual gamers make is assuming MS is the driving force behind DRM. They aren't. Game publishers are. Game publishers lose the most because of used games. MS loses a few game fees, but really how much of their revenue comes from that?

EA is the one who came up with online passes. Many games make you sign on to the publisher's 3rd party online service. When I go to play NHL 14 offline, I'm still forced to sign on to EA's servers.

That is what is so frustrating about the whole thing. People really don't understand the big picture. When publishers start requiring always online into their own servers for every game across both platforms, what are gamers going to do?

And this is correct. Publishers WANTED this behind closed doors. Why would you NOT want the money to circulate back into the gaming system? I stated this before and like you said, we have only delyaed the inevitable. This WILL happen in one way or another. Either like you said all games will eventually be online only or online passes will be the norm.

When I was on TeamXbox I wrote a long post about this, and unfortunately it's no longer there. But the bottom line is that Sony and Microsoft were on track to do this, and much of it was pushed by publishers. And what happened was that Sony flinched. Once they did, publishers flinched. That left Microsoft looking like the "bad guy", even though no one has still been able to REALLY talk about what was so bad about all this other than the same old memes of gaming down in a submarine and in a log cabin in the woods. Microsoft had no choice but to flinch when publishers then turned around and said "uhhhhh, yeah we love used games and always have........pay no attention to those online passes we used to have..........so we don't know what Microsoft is talking about".

I maintain what I believe from the very beginning. There is no way, NO WAY, Microsoft did this in a vacumn without talking to anyone about it first.

This assumes they buy a year. You can buy less amount of time for a cheaper price. If they have the money then yes they can. But getting 3 months for $18 or so isnt bad. You take into consideration if you go buy an X1, COD, and Xbox Live all for the same it would cost close to $620 for a year.

This assumes they buy a year. You can buy less amount of time for a cheaper price. If they have the money then yes they can. But getting 3 months for $18 or so isnt bad. You take into consideration if you go buy an X1, COD, and Xbox Live all for the same it would cost close to $620 for a year.

Yea $18 isn't bad, but through that method you're looking at $72 for the year. From a parental perspective, that's an unnecessary and unannounced expense. The price point may not be the problem to a gamer, but the fact they didn't know about it till after they were ready to play may upset them. If the first thing you do with our new console is try to play online, its a safe assumption you will want a year of PS+

Back