Xbox One Microsoft has No Regrets About Their 180

Aha, I found my post from TeamXbox. So I am going to put it here. I warn you, it's a long read. But I still stand 100% behind it:

When we get down to the DRM issue itself, everyone flinched. EVERYONE flinched. Sony, Microsoft, and the publishers. They all flinched. The Sony fans want us to believe that they "listened to the customers" and "fought for the gamer". No, they were headed down the same path. They just happened to jump off at a very strategic point to make themselves look good. But they don't put in patents for RFID technology if they were never intending on using it. They don't use online pass THEMSELVES if they had no intention of taking it farther. They just flinched first.

It's also wrong thinking that Microsoft flinches and those same people are "oh, it's just about the money" like it wasn't for Sony. It's as simple as this. Microsoft pushed ahead believing they had the right strategy. Their delivery was horrible, and they allowed Sony and their fans on the internet to define their policies for them. That caused hardcore gamers to complain out loud, and Microsoft flinched. There is an old saying in politics, "one of the best ways to beat your opponent is to define them before he can define themselves". Jack Tretton was a master politician that evening, and Don Mattrick and company never fought back.

The publishers flinched, we just don't know when. Again, the Sony fans and their anonymous internet heroes on NeoGAF and Pastebin will have you believe that Microsoft did all this on their own in a vacuum with no input from anyone and they were just going to shove it down everyone's throats whether they liked it or not. That these publishers who were trying on their own to curb the used game market, or at least get some control over it, with things like online passes were all of a sudden completely ok with unfettered used game sales where they got no additional piece of the pie while GameStop made billions off of them. No. I'm betting they were completely onboard with Microsoft on this until they started to hear the same rumblings and backed away. I love Peter Moore. One of my all-time favorite industry people. I've had many real conversations with him and even lunch once. I don't believe him for a second when he said he never spoke about this stuff with Microsoft. The company that started the whole online pass thing all of a sudden has no problem with used games? Don't get me wrong, Peter HAD to say that. Or people who claim they will "never forget Microsoft tried to do this to them" could claim the same against EA. Bottom line? Publishers flinched. Which BTW had a direct effect on Microsoft flinching.

Everyone flinched. Everyone did this for their own preservation. No one had the balls to stand on their own principle. Not Microsoft. Not publishers. Not Sony.

The difference is gamers fell for Sony's PR and claim they listened to the gamers while Microsoft changes it's policy and those same gamers somehow continue to call Microsoft out for it even to this day.

I'm old enough to have had toys that required batteries. If parents can turn into the The Grinch on Christmas when they realize that they have no batteries or bought the wrong size, then you better believe $18-$50 will have kids singing, "you're mean one, Mr. Grinch."

But, there is a way that parents will be able to avoid that Christmas Day snafu and that is because three weeks before Christmas when that salesperson, who is trying to keep their numbers up, tells that them that in addition to the extra controller that they will need to buy so Sammy and Stevie can play, that they also need to pick up this nifty little card for $50 and now they can play online.

The console, the game, the controller, the PSN+, maybe the camera, but definitely less stuff overall that what you'd be getting for the One for in the end, less money, yeah, it's not the obvious choice that many are claiming it to be.

Yea $18 isn't bad, but through that method you're looking at $72 for the year. From a parental perspective, that's an unnecessary and unannounced expense. The price point may not be the problem to a gamer, but the fact they didn't know about it till after they were ready to play may upset them. If the first thing you do with our new console is try to play online, its a safe assumption you will want a year of PS+

EXACTLY! This is what I am saying. EVERYONE knows LIVE cost money. And more than HALF know that PSN is free...as of right now. Its gonna be a real messed up morning come x-mas day lol

Microsoft took a ton of heat after E3 and a lot of it did get blown out of proportion.

They're just going to slowly implement everything back with each new update and not many people will even notice or care.

Microsoft took a ton of heat after E3 and a lot of it did get blown out of proportion.

They're just going to slowly implement everything back with each new update and not many people will even notice or care.

Not everything. There is no scenario where Microsoft puts DRM back on physical discs. If you think the backlash against them at E3 was bad.

We still don't know what happened, but I strongly believe that Sony reversed their DRM policy sometime before E3. I have no facts to base this on, but look at what happened:

-MS was completely unprepared for the PR backlash against DRM. Why? Did they think people wouldn't mind, or did they expect Sony to do the same and make it a non-issue? I guess the latter.
-What did Sony have at E3 other than their little "how to lend a friend a game" dog and pony show?

And the Truth shall set you free....

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DRM-Xbox-One-PlayStation-4-Shuhei-Yoshida-Hiroshi-Kawano,23292.html

Great find. I always assumed that was what happened, but nice to see the confirmation. I wish more people would see the truth, but for so many it is easier to just hate MS and blame everything on them.

Great find. I always assumed that was what happened, but nice to see the confirmation. I wish more people would see the truth, but for so many it is easier to just hate MS and blame everything on them.

Thats how its been since E3. I still say this, I think its funny when I still see people say tv,tv,tv,tv for MSFT and completely forget about E3, Gamescon, and PAX. WHich were all about games. SMH....some gamers these days lol

Back