Xbox One Kinect is unnecessary and a joke - Molyneux

I don't use the Kinect on my XB1 as much as I used to since I bought the media remote. My kids use it more than I do. Works good most of the time, and when it doesnt it usually does something weird or funny and I just laugh. For example, It seems to think one of my cousins is me, it signs me in if she walks in the room when the kids are on the XB1. A couple times my kids got too loud playing or argued over whos turn it was and it thought they said "Xbox record that." I told them the NSA was listening in and the government was going to send someone to punish them for fighting, LOL.

Who does anyways. I mean I probably only use it for just dance 2014.

Exactly.

I have no clue what Microsoft's plan was/ What force a device on customers if you are not going develop the proper products for it. All the Kinect does is sit on top of my console, and watch me. There isn't even an option to use in in any of my games. A total waste if you ask me.

I wish they would refund the money i paid for it. I hate the way Microsoft does business.

marthyrocks makes the point. It's like... Nintendo is opposite to what MSFT is doing with Kinect. Nintendo knew how to use the motion-sensors by making sure a majority of games used it. But MSFT uses few, and trying to integrate it. But ehh... yeah, you make good points. I'd just go with a remote instead.

I have never been a fan of it anyway. If it comes with the XB1, that's okay.

marthyrocks makes the point. It's like... Nintendo is opposite to what MSFT is doing with Kinect. Nintendo knew how to use the motion-sensors by making sure a majority of games used it. But MSFT uses few, and trying to integrate it. But ehh... yeah, you make good points. I'd just go with a remote instead.

Good point. Maybe MSFT's just trying to adjust their way this one. They're probably just jealous Nintendo got it right. After all, Nintendo was the one who revolutionized motion-based gaming.

well considering the numchucks were the ONLY way to play wii games and it was literally forced on us whether we liked it or not yea that's the opposite of what Microsoft did they gave gamers a choice and instead of forcing Kinect only xbones (which could you imagine how hard people would *****?) they decided to try and ease us into it by have a few games that are solely kinect while alot of the games for the "hardcore" games merely had it as a sort spice. whether it's using it to shout and hotkey in skyrim or physically moving so you peek out of cover in BF4 it just adds something different. You never need it but it's really beneficial when you learn how to use it.

Also to the people saying that xbone wasn't made around the kinect have you tried using the bing service or switching digital games within games by just saying "go to X?" it feels really good. I can go to skype and join a call, go back to my game right where I left off, then snap twitch in a matter of 10 seconds. Microsoft has made it so that every xbone has a kinect and allows the devs to incorporate it. The devs are the one that have to make the choice of whether they want to us it or not and if they want it to have a bigger role then just a cool perk. I think that we'll see some very very interesting things coming from both the mainstream devs but esp the indie devs when it comes to kinect but must like the literal 100s of ****ty horribly controlled wii games we have to wait and let them figure out how to us it right.

Also also, Don't forget that all we need is 1 kinect, how many wiimotes/numchucks/balance boards/gamecube/classic controllors did you need for the wii?

well considering the numchucks were the ONLY way to play wii games and it was literally forced on us whether we liked it or not yea that's the opposite of what Microsoft did they gave gamers a choice and instead of forcing Kinect only xbones (which could you imagine how hard people would *****?) they decided to try and ease us into it by have a few games that are solely kinect while alot of the games for the "hardcore" games merely had it as a sort spice. whether it's using it to shout and hotkey in skyrim or physically moving so you peek out of cover in BF4 it just adds something different. You never need it but it's really beneficial when you learn how to use it.

Also to the people saying that xbone wasn't made around the kinect have you tried using the bing service or switching digital games within games by just saying "go to X?" it feels really good. I can go to skype and join a call, go back to my game right where I left off, then snap twitch in a matter of 10 seconds. Microsoft has made it so that every xbone has a kinect and allows the devs to incorporate it. The devs are the one that have to make the choice of whether they want to us it or not and if they want it to have a bigger role then just a cool perk. I think that we'll see some very very interesting things coming from both the mainstream devs but esp the indie devs when it comes to kinect but must like the literal 100s of ****ty horribly controlled wii games we have to wait and let them figure out how to us it right.

Also also, Don't forget that all we need is 1 kinect, how many wiimotes/numchucks/balance boards/gamecube/classic controllors did you need for the wii?

Hmm. makes sense man, well at least with kinect you don't need all those.

It should be something optional. Maybe some people want to spend less money on a console.

The Kinect and Wii's bad games that were centered around motion were bad because of lazy developers who wanted to make games the same way since PSX, N64, and Saturn and map them the same way as SNES, PSX, and N64. All developers say they want to make innovative games with innovative gameplay but when tasked with utilizing a piece of technology (Kinect or Wii motion) that would present an actual challenge to innovation.

Despite the supposedly "literally 100s of sh***y horribly controlled Wii games" the ones that turned out great--whether first party or third--shined on Wii. When you've got a handful of motion games on your console for the Kinect--due to no one really wanting to even risk it--you should have at least half of them be good. Hell even if a quarter are good, Microsoft's studios couldn't even come up with a good number of games worth getting on the Kinect on 360. The ones that turned out good on a regular basis were dance, rhythm, and fitness games--same as the Wii. While the Wii had a bunch of peripherals (wiimote/nunchuck and balance boards from the motion end...it's still a bunch) they had the accuracy that Kinect didn't have. There was one Kinect..one pretty inaccurate Kinect if there wasn't a dance game or rhythm game in the tray.

They created it. If your company creates this peripheral for your console, your studio should be able to come up with a variety of games--franchise games that warrant buying this thing or packing it in so that people say "I'm looking forward to more of that!"--that work good at the minimum. Not decent, not adequate, not perfectly acceptable--good.

The game might not get the oh so "important" ratings because it might not be for everyone storyline or character design wise, but there should be a number of games that demonstrates what the Kinect can do. EA can make turds on Kinect, Activision can make lemons, Ubisoft can make zonks, but Microsoft should've been putting out games that fully utilized the Kinect and did it extremely well. Not just voice functionality, people were actually buying Kinect to use with 360.

The bright point about Kinect on X1 is that Microsoft looked at Kinect of 360 and said "This thing sucks ass when it comes to motion, it's a 45% chance we're gonna make this thing work but it's f***in' gold with voice commands. Let's make this main focus of it."

I feel people being annoyed with Kinect being packed in, but if Microsoft manages to get that one Kinect game out of their own studios that becomes the defining Kinect game--and that's the only series they regularly release for the Kinect--I'd say "Thank you, Microsoft. You saved me making all these movements and over exerting myself only for Kinect to say 'lol F*** your sh** and run into those enemies' and came up with a game worth playing on Kinect."

The Kinect and Wii's bad games that were centered around motion were bad because of lazy developers who wanted to make games the same way since PSX, N64, and Saturn and map them the same way as SNES, PSX, and N64. All developers say they want to make innovative games with innovative gameplay but when tasked with utilizing a piece of technology (Kinect or Wii motion) that would present an actual challenge to innovation.

Despite the supposedly "literally 100s of sh***y horribly controlled Wii games" the ones that turned out great--whether first party or third--shined on Wii. When you've got a handful of motion games on your console for the Kinect--due to no one really wanting to even risk it--you should have at least half of them be good. Hell even if a quarter are good, Microsoft's studios couldn't even come up with a good number of games worth getting on the Kinect on 360. The ones that turned out good on a regular basis were dance, rhythm, and fitness games--same as the Wii. While the Wii had a bunch of peripherals (wiimote/nunchuck and balance boards from the motion end...it's still a bunch) they had the accuracy that Kinect didn't have. There was one Kinect..one pretty inaccurate Kinect if there wasn't a dance game or rhythm game in the tray.

They created it. If your company creates this peripheral for your console, your studio should be able to come up with a variety of games--franchise games that warrant buying this thing or packing it in so that people say "I'm looking forward to more of that!"--that work good at the minimum. Not decent, not adequate, not perfectly acceptable--good.

The game might not get the oh so "important" ratings because it might not be for everyone storyline or character design wise, but there should be a number of games that demonstrates what the Kinect can do. EA can make turds on Kinect, Activision can make lemons, Ubisoft can make zonks, but Microsoft should've been putting out games that fully utilized the Kinect and did it extremely well. Not just voice functionality, people were actually buying Kinect to use with 360.

The bright point about Kinect on X1 is that Microsoft looked at Kinect of 360 and said "This thing sucks ass when it comes to motion, it's a 45% chance we're gonna make this thing work but it's f***in' gold with voice commands. Let's make this main focus of it."

I feel people being annoyed with Kinect being packed in, but if Microsoft manages to get that one Kinect game out of their own studios that becomes the defining Kinect game--and that's the only series they regularly release for the Kinect--I'd say "Thank you, Microsoft. You saved me making all these movements and over exerting myself only for Kinect to say 'lol F*** your sh** and run into those enemies' and came up with a game worth playing on Kinect."

THIS. There you go. Yeah, Wii might have some horrible games but a number of games, like Skyward Sword, Okami, Epic Mickey, No More Heroes 1 and 2, MadWorld and other fantastic games had nicely tuned motion-based gaming. At least out of the 100s of horrible Wii games, a handful came out great. As for the Kinect, it's not yet in the stage where people are excited for it. Besides that, Kinect came late in the 360s lifespan so MSFT is still getting the fixes on it. So you can see not a lot of the games are utilizing the Kinect.

I must agree. I mean.... Godus. Another god game? I was hoping he'd make another game that's not based on being a god. Why that?

That's honestly what he does best and what he can really get behind. Having all this power and truly establishing your own path with no concrete narrative. Personally I'd like him do another Dungeon Keeper or The Movies.

That's honestly what he does best and what he can really get behind. Having all this power and truly establishing your own path with no concrete narrative. Personally I'd like him do another Dungeon Keeper or The Movies.

Could be possible and I love that to happen too as well.

This was the crux of the whole Kinect thing. Microsoft itself should've been putting out nuggets of gold or silver for the Kinect on a fairly regular basis. They should've been committed to it 100%. At least when Sony saw that the Move wasn't all that they pretty much bailed on it. Microsoft put Rare to work on Kinect (as opposed to working on the Banjo game everyone wanted like most who left Rare said they should've done) and they didn't really deliver.

Kinect did have some good sports, dance/rhythm, and fitness games but so did everyone else and their mama, really. There was nothing that screamed "Not only is this a "distinctly" Xbox game, this is a landmark Kinect game that showed its potential."

"Thank you, Microsoft. You saved me making all these movements and over exerting myself only for Kinect to say 'lol F*** your sh** and run into those enemies' and came up with a game worth playing on Kinect."

XD I'm dead.

Back